Unknown Italian Water

hardgraf

Hi. I'm currently living in southern Italy and I've stumbled across a carp water just down the road from my house.

It's a pit of around 3 acres, banked by trees & reeds and is deep, at least 12ft a rod length from the bank. There are only 2 or 3 fishable swims due to limited access to the bank. The margins are packed with features, reeds & sunken trees all the way round.

The water is extremly clear and the bottom seems to be clean gravel, no silt. The water gets a little pressure from local carp anglers but only roughly one angler per week.

The difficulty comes in the number of fish present. There are reported to be only 20-30 carp and one local told me he fished every weekend for 3 months without a run. On the upside, all the fish are large, the biggest thought to be around 28kg (62lbs).

I've scouted around and failed to spot any fish and apparently surface fishing is ineffective.

Any ideas on how to start to tackle such a water? It's a beautiful lake with some big fish but might be just too difficult...

Is there any chance to prebait about for a week and observe if the food will vanish? I did it this way and I could even find out the day time when they fed. It was maybe 1m away from the bank and the key thing was to bury the rig under gravel only with hook and boilie out between a dozen of freebies.

Are there swan mussels?

Some people use empty shells to hide lead into it (glued together) to mask the rig.

Also possibly the best time to catch can be after dark.

Thanks for the reply.

No, there are no swan mussels as far as I'm aware. I dabbled with a float rod and some corn yesterday. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of small fish so a baited area may work well.

I can bait an area but it would be difficult to observe as the bank drops away immediatly to 13ft. I could possibly climb a tree with polaroids passion for angling style, maybe I could then see the bottom if I baited with a brightly coloured large bolie.

The red circles are the fishable swims. The area in black hatching is the only shallower area. This area is heavily weeded and bank access is impossible at the moment. With a rake etc I could probably form a hole in the weed & get to the bank but even then it would be difficult to observe the bottom as it appears to still be around 8ft deep.

Italian_Lake.jpg

The first thing to do is get down and do a 48hr session that includes lots of watching, listening and use of the marker rod.

Find an area that appeals then pre-bait it regularly. Dont be afraid of deep water anything upto 30ft would be ok. Your never going to catch numbers of fish regularly but with the possibility of a 60lber it only takes 1 fish to make lots of hard work worthwhile.

• 1 year later...

Not being too much of a cynic.. but..

Have you seen any pics of these lumps ?

20 to 30 large fish is about 10 per acre which is a fair head of fish for any lake.

The fact that you know someone who has put in 3 months of weekends on a unpressurised water without a single run does make me sceptical of the numbers rumoured, i would have expected at least a lucky take in that time wherever you fished on such a small lake.

I live in France now and over the 13 yrs i've been here i've fished 'rumour' lakes many times (and quite a few through the 90's too from the UK), and unfortunately that's what they usually are, just rumours. That being said you never know, so it's always worth a go.

I would fish for a few days, in a spot that gives you the best overall view of the lake.

Spread your rods over different depths, and keep your eyes peeled, especially early morning for any tell tale signs.

Don't use back leads as liners are a possible sign of your quarry, and to be honest they shouldn't be super wary.

What's the natural food situation in the lake? To sustain the level of large carp said to be in such a small lake it would have to be prolific.