Pop Up Rig Problem

carpermartin

Hi All,

First of all i dont usually post articles or ask questions on here so go easy!

Recently i have been experienceing problems with my pop up rigs. I use a standard Knotless Knot, wide gape hook, bit of silicone on the bend and some shrink tubing. i also add a small shot just below the tubing to counter balance.

I have noticed that when testing, the hook point seems to be pointing towards my lead (hope that makes sense). So instead of it kicking away from the lead it points to the lead. So in essence making the rig useless. In other words it twists around.

I am actually tying a rig with the new snails and it also happens with the sweetcorn and boilies aswell when making rigs.

Can anyone shed a bit of light on this for me to help solve this problem.

Thanks

Martin

None of the others make it sit that way. Just when using that. I dont know whether it could be shot that is making the hooklink twist im not sure just going to have to play around with it i think.

Would it matter in hooking potential??

Not so much would it matter as it may not but would you be confident fishing with it knowing it could cost fish?

I'd personally fish a different style rig that I could see in the margin sat perfect

have you looked at how you tie the knotless knot? i have found in the past that if i feed the line through the back of the eye to finish the knot it causes the hook to face upwards (when the hook is hanging) whereas if i feed it through the front of the eye (the side the barb is on) it tend's to angle toward's the ground... it seem's simple and is often overlooked but i have found the cause to most problem's is the most simple of things... hope this help's :)

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly don't think about how my pop-up rigs face whatever direction.

We use camouflaged leads, a hooklink that is neutral or as closely matched as possible, and I don't think a carp knows what a lead is, even if it is uncoated.

With pop-ups I tend to use a standard knotless knot rig, although the hookbait is tied on with a uni-knot (tied firs) and bait placed in when making rig up to get bait tight to shank/bend.

I have a feeling that most pop-up rigs are picked up, as opposed to being sucked (although open to deliberation and debate), so to watch the bait into the mouth the carp's "attention" is on the hookbait until it loses sight of it in the blind spot is impossible.

If they are sucked in, again, all attention will be on bait as it goes towards the mouth, watching for unnatural movement.

My counter weight is usually below the hook on the hooklink, and is putty, over either, the end of the coated braid strip or a small power gum stop knot.

I think that pop-up rigs have more potential on the thumb test and flipping in to get a hookhold, but I think that most fish are hooked when the carp closes its mouth over and around the bait, which is why possibly you get more top lip or cheek hookholds with pop-ups when they are definitely picking the bait up.

Also when it comes to pop-up rigs I have found for me that braided hooklinks are far better than stiffer materials