Willows Lakes, St Albans

Cheers Jack, I'll give it a shot tonight.

Well I think, from the sounds of it, I will be looking for somewhere else to go. Got to try and find somewhere not to far and that does night fishing but have been given a few places to look at. If you've got a suggestion let me know please Simon.

Thanks

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i went to willows today and didnt catch anything :( the fish wernt rolling or showing themselves at all. i was fishing the farm lake casting to the island i tryed everything maggots,pepperoni,pop ups,bottom baits. but nothing

i brough my surface fishing gear with me but they were there

i dont no what to do some help plz

thanks jack

i went to willows today and didnt catch anything :( the fish wernt rolling or showing themselves at all. i was fishing the farm lake casting to the island i tryed everything maggots,pepperoni,pop ups,bottom baits. but nothing

i brough my surface fishing gear with me but they were there

i dont no what to do some help plz

thanks jack

How about try exactly the same thing....next time! Somedays the fish just are not feeding!

Yeah I was looking at joining aswell. They've got some nice lakes and I think ur right, think a couple are night fishing. Will be sorting that out when back of hols I think. To now will be willows.

I fished there on the farm lake few months ago and had same problem. I tend to stick to the match lake now as have better luck there. Normaly go by where the divide between match and farm lake is (was) as always done best there.

im on the vac waters down moor mill at park st . ticket well worth the money . 4 lakes on complex . island lake pukks looking but ramo with crays , leather pit handfull of fish included toadless ,skool and pike pit all very nice bark chipped swims . dont tell the vac you been on willows / bowmans or you will have to disenfect your gear . they hate the place . as for tatics on match lake method feeder easy bag up cast to middle where bar runs :wink: all can be night fished on vac .baliff city on moor mill so some one there all the time any messing and your off

I used boilies (tuttii fruity, scopex) and/or luncheon meat. May go down there this weekend give it another shot.

Right here's a couple of photos of the lakes. I'll post the pic of the couple fish i caught after so you can see that their not in the greatest quality but decent size lol

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

Number one i fished this plce numerous time over a five year period as have lots of friends of mine and quite a few guys on here none of us have ever been there when any sort of theft has ever occured or ever come on here with a specific example of that, a hooker, a pikey. Also i never seen rubish bins over filled when i been but i have seen guys walking the banks looking for rubbish as for the sore on one of the fish that can occur on many day ticket fisheries and even on syndis.

Come back with a specific example you can prove of what you all allege goes on!!!

Sooner of latter as a result of unproven things people keep writing which are stories they heard from a bloke that heard from a bloke that happened once x ammount of years ago and people have chatted about since someone is going to sue one of these forums or a member for damages to a business.

If somone goes to a venue and has a specific example they are willing to back that fine. Or pictures of something they saw again fine. What i dont think is fair is people to just write "what a dump", "dont go there you get your gear nicked" etc etc

Dont want you to think i am picking a fight or deliberately singleing you out it happens in a lot of disscussions. People are welcome to there opions but i just think that the way we put them across needs to be accurate, balance and proveable when we might be posting someting which can damage a person business. I am in no one connected to any of the people at this fishery its a general comment. I enjoy this forum and i think people need to be careful not to get it in trouble.

you must walk round with your eyes closed :wink: the place brought khv to coln valley . also didnt the owner pump water from the lakes to keep the crops going during summer ? you only need to look at the place last yr . ask anyone who has a vac ticket about willows / bowmans and you will hear all the answers you need

It has not been Bowmans or run by the same persons for a number of years.

There were some issues with KHV again many years ago and yes they have have had issues with water levels which has also been down to being next to the gravel washing works and out of the control of those that run the venue. Also the situation regarding water levels has been much improved the last year.

No i dont have my eyes closed everytime i have been there i have never seen or heard of a theft, seen what you call a pikey, never seen prostitutes, not seen the bins overflowing or seen the water full of dead fish and to the best of my knowledge no one has come on here claiming to have been robed and or reported it to the police in recent times.

I must now ask for your evidence that it was responsible for introducing khv to the colne valley? That alligation is exactly what i am talking about. It is a dangerous and damaging one which is the kind of thing you or this forum could indeed be sued for without proof/evidence.

I welcome that people have an opion and some like or dislike a venue but all i am asking is when making alegations people have proof or its bassed on a first hand experience not the gossip and stories that have been doing the mill from back in the days the venue was Bowmans. That was years ago and i simply giving the other side of the story for people to make a balanced decision which is i have never experienced any of thoseallegations.

It is possible that things can change or improve. No where and nothing in life is perfect but should not always be str8 away writen off. Its not the only place that has had or does have problems many do. Its a commercial fishery for those without the money for memberships, syndicates or more expensive day or night tickets.

I know two summer ago the water level was very very bad but i also know that was the same story at other lakes in Herts.

OK people I think we're getting off track a bit here and can see this geting a bit ugly. There are better places than Willows, of course, but for a quick and easy place to go to catch some fish it's good. I've been going there a few years now and never had any problems. I've heard the stories and am always warey when there but as I say never seen anything bad. I will be joining a proper club and fishing elsewhere but I still go to Willows as a quick and easy place where u can fish for as long as u want and tend to be able to catch.

I think we should leave the debate over wether it's good, bad, cause problems, what people have heard, etc behind us now and stick to advise on how and where to catch if you do fish there.

On that point if anyone has any advise on good rigs/sections of the lake to fish on please share as I will be going back there soon.

Well now looks like I'm working this weekend so may have to take couple days off in the week and give it a go.

I found it was quite weedy where I was last weekend, think may be partialy due to the flooding, so may try some popups as well see if that has any joy. Determined to catch myself a 20lber lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Had one out on thursday, bout 6lb, had 3 out on the friday about 10lb each and one out saturday morning, nice 18lber before i had to move due to a match on sunday.

Fished few feet off the end of the ledge sticking out in the middle of the match on the right. Used Scopex on a stringer. Not a bad few days though didn't really see anyone else pull anything out, especially to the left of the ledge.

Saw a guy who had walked round when i got there thursday lunch time and he said someone had pulled out a 20lb during the day and had been busy during the night. Also believe the deep lake was fishing really well at the same time.

Good luck.

Hi all

Thinking of doing the large lake, i believe this is classed as the match lake this friday, haven't done willows for over a year and was wondering if anyone can give some input on baits and swims that could give me a few runs.

Also is this the best lake to fish for carp or am i better trying one of the other, i'm not that bothered about sizes at the moment, just a screaming reel will do the trick until the new season starts

cheers

Hi benno,

I've had some lucky lately with scopex boilies on the Match lake. Near the middle or if there's room down by the shoulder which divides the match lake and the farm lake. Would probably say match lake is best option.

I may pop down there over the easter weekend for couple of days so may see u about.

i was just using a stringer. Had 3 rods out with 3 diferent tactics but the scopex on a stringer seemed to be the only one that got any action. Although when i was there it was pretty quite. I had a few out over 3 days but didn't really see anyone else pull anything out.