the rights and wrongs of rating fisheries..

i put this on a thread where people were slagging off/sticking up for a specific lake, but would be interested in peoples opinions on the general topic...

slightly hijacking this thread and i know nothing of the fishery in question....

i think it raises a good question about people giving their opinions on fisheries on the internet. i recently got a little bit of grief from one member for giving a non-favouarable write-up on a lake. it made me think for a moment that maybe it wasnt fair, as at the end of the day its someones living and forums like these are pretty anonymous so any tom dick or harry can hammer someones livelyhood (possibly even rival fishery owners )......

but, then i thought, no, i had a bad experience that wasted my time and money as well as that of friends. it wasnt that i just blanked and slated it. so i think if somewhere you've been has genuine problems and you wouldnt go again then you should tell others to hopefully save them making the same mistake. as long as what you write is fair, balanced and backed up with fact, not just ' i spodded all day and night and still blanked'.

carp fishing is expensive enough as it is so if we can save each other some money with passing on info on places to avoid, we should.

i'd be interested to hear what others think on this?

hi studley, as i said not catching doesnt make a place bad. a whole multitude of other things can make somewhere undesirable. for instance the place in question i was talking about i didnt even fish! the 3 of us got there after pre-booking well in advance only to find there were only 2 swims available!

well thats just poor management mate. i see what you mean though, there are a few lakes i steer clear of due to, swims to tight together, letting just about any noddy fish it (im sure 75% of them aint got a license) I think all lake owners, bailiffs should ask to see a license. might cut down on the number of undesireables :evil: Im fed up of paying for my license and nrver being asked to see it, like i said i bet there are 100's of lakes being fished by people with no license, care or respect for the fish or the lakes they choose to chuck there pound land rigs into. :evil:

ha, i know what you mean about the licence, why bother with a law it no-one enforces it anywhere apart from rivers??

i did comment on one fisshery about hearing that some of the stock had been removed, now in hindsight i've got to put my hands up and say that was wrong of me,it was only word of mouth and you know how chinese whispers go.. but yeah if somewhere is poorly run i think we should get the word out.

very true mate. I had similar experience, i have been fishing a lake near me for bout 15 years on off, had some nice high doubles and a low 20 from it bout 6 years ago and since then only getting fish from there averaging 10 12 lb ish. read a thread on here that fish had been taking from this lake and sold the elsons, confronted the old man that owns the lake and he basically lied through his teeth saying a fish has never left the lake! :evil: wont be fishing there again.

I had an experience a while back...

Ok so me and me good bud planned our first ever france trip and there is no shortage of venues to go at once we started looking, we found a gorgeous looking lake namely Valley lake in france which is advertised right here on carp.com.

Full of excitement we left and drove all the way there with all sorts of expectations.. without going into all the gory details it turned into the worst fishing trip ive ever had in my life and id say 75% of it was down to the fishery owner at the time, i got the impression he was quite new to the game to be honest i dont really know though.

I wanted at the time to make sure nobody i ever knew had that experience so would of told anyone not to go there.

Ive since met many people that have fished there,, read many posts from people that have been there and never read a bad thing about it which means the chap must of got his act together and all is well as they all said it was fantastic.

Moral of that story:

Always exercise benefit of the doubt! everyone has bad days!

so my point to all this is this,, yes i do believe its fair for people to air their concerns and views about individual lakes as long as its based on personal experience and like you say balanced and fair thats what free speech is all about, and for someone to slate you for doing that i think is unfair.

fingers hurt now,, :wink:

CC

I had an experience a while back...

Ok so me and me good bud planned our first ever france trip and there is no shortage of venues to go at once we started looking, we found a gorgeous looking lake namely Valley lake in france which is advertised right here on carp.com.

Full of excitement we left and drove all the way there with all sorts of expectations.. without going into all the gory details it turned into the worst fishing trip ive ever had in my life and id say 75% of it was down to the fishery owner at the time, i got the impression he was quite new to the game to be honest i dont really know though.

I wanted at the time to make sure nobody i ever knew had that experience so would of told anyone not to go there.

Ive since met many people that have fished there,, read many posts from people that have been there and never read a bad thing about it which means the chap must of got his act together and all is well as they all said it was fantastic.

Moral of that story:

Always exercise benefit of the doubt! everyone has bad days!

so my point to all this is this,, yes i do believe its fair for people to air their concerns and views about individual lakes as long as its based on personal experience and like you say balanced and fair thats what free speech is all about, and for someone to slate you for doing that i think is unfair.

fingers hurt now,, :wink:

CC

What a good post, says it all really...