Casting At The Sun - Chris Yates

splitter

This book changed my life!

In 1993 when I was 12 years old I did a search at the local library for 'carp fishing', this came up top of the list so I ordered it in. I have never been so captivated by a book before or since. I kept it for about 6 months past the return date but it was well worth the late fees.

It is essentially an autobiography of Chris Yates' fishing life. From the village pond as a child right up to the capture of the 51lb British record fish known as "The Bishop" from Redmire Pool. The magic and mystery of carp fishing is brilliantly portrayed in this book. Although there is the odd mention of cane rods and old centrepins you don't have to be a vintage tackle enthusiast to enjoy this. Chris' simple methods seem to allow him to concentrate on studying the fish, perfecting watercraft and blending into the landscape.

Highly recommended. :D

:lol:

wow, didn't expect that. I'm not saying he is a great fisherman, or that I think you need a £2000 split cane rod to catch carp. I know he is critical of hair rigs and bite alarms but he is entitled to his views. I haven't heard him slagging off fixed spool reels or boilies though. In fact he uses both in A Passion for Angling doesn't he?

I just think the guy tells a great fishing story. I believe he descibes 'Casting at the Sun' as semi-autobiographical. No claims that it's all true!

• 2 weeks later...
He definitely has slated modern angling, I've heard it, just can't remember from who.

In 'The Secret Carp' there is pretty much a whole chapter devoted to criticising modern carp fishing. That was slightly uncomfortable reading, however I enjoy his books and I think they're more about the spirit and essence of fishing rather than the mechanics of it.

His writing style and books may not be to everyones taste, but those with a slightly rose-tinted romantic view of angling (like me) love them