Little Hayes, Todber

burg

you wanna give the lads at todber a call, you need to call them to reserve a spot anyway, its many a time i've gone down there to find the lakes totally jammed up and i've had to settle in on wadmill - plenty of fish caught but when your looking for some dedicated specimin hunting and you end up hemmed in by both sides, well it does deflate you a bit. i tend to stay away from todber these days, it does not really do it for me. although dont let that put you off, i just look for something a little more wild and unknown from my fishing, however if i wanna few runs of a sunday afternoon, then wadmill will more than live up to expectations, scrapper high singles and doubles to put a bend in the rod and raise your confidence. but for me, todber could not be my main water. yet, fishing is all things to all people and all you need to do is look at the phenomenal success todber have had to see how much enjoyment people get from going there, and rightly so, as a fishing resort set up, it really does the job.

postcode is DT10 1JB tel 01258820384 www.todbermanor.co.uk do gove them a call, oh and find out the going bait and get on it, although todber do their own boilies, last i went, mach 1 nash readymades were doing the business, so whats what i used to good results, give them a bell, they will help you out they want you to catch after all, so you'll go back!! but i do advise you call in good time to book a swim, i have had to, several times, either go elsewhere or go onto wadmill as i could not get a swim on either of the hayes lakes.

the lake i am fishing at the moment is approx 30odd acres, with an unknown number of carp, to unknown size, 20lbers have been landed, no swims, all wild and unkempt, no other anglers, no rules, no bait bans, no fees, no idea what the next run will bring... heaven!

ouchthathurt :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Went there for a night a few winters ago, had eight simmo's from eleven runs and went home.

My honest verdict = A minging hole full of ugly carp, a bit unfair as you can't buy maturity but I doubt I'll ever go back, just not my cup of rosey, but as stated above it obviously is for some.

On the upside, the shop is brilliant and the lads in there work hard to ensure you enjoy your time. There are also showers which I found novel :D

Depends what you want from your angling mate.

true, the lakes are maturing nicely, but it is all too "commercial" for me, but the lads are sound, they will make you feel welcome and ensure your on fish best they can.good chance of a nice lump too.

if you like this type of place, you'll love todber. they are the best at what they do, but i like my swims hostile!

I fished Wadmill on Saturday, everyone had had plenty of sport the night before, but i didnt see a single carp come out during the day! Unusual for this place i am told. I agree with what your saying, i asked at the shop if it was busy, they said no. Well i would hate to see what it was like when it was busy!!! It was rammed in my eyes, i was forced into an area to fish rather than choosing one. I pulled out 3 bream, one was my PB at 6 1/2 lb so that saved the day.

Ive just got back into the sport recently and am looking for a bend in the rod, but i do like my space and a peaceful environment. Guess the two dont really go hand in hand in many places round here.

But any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback

Hi Guys,

Im looking to give the above a crack in the next few weeks, i have never fished it and wanted to know how it does in these winter months? Is big hayes a better choice? If anyone has any info please let me know.

Cheers

When you fishing Little Hayes?

I'm down there for a 7 nighter from 5th May (wanted to fish big hayes but the RAF lads booked it up) along with a few other lads.

Have fished Todber for about 4 years now and Big Hayes is starting to mature nicely. Had a session in January but with temps dropping to -4 at night and not much more during Day I failed to turn the many bite's into fish on the bank. However made up for it on a recent trip where I banked 4 carp to 19lb and a few bream. Confident I would of caught a few more but the wind and the rain moved in making it impossible to cast to my mark so lost the last 12 hours of the session.

TBH thats the one down side at Todber. when the weather rolls in it usually blows a gail and can make it very tricky to fish!

Oh at the moment Mainline Cell seems to be the going bait fished over crushed cell and cell pellets. Incidently I was using a Tiger nut oil to did the cell into so might be worth a try.

I know Little Hayes and Big Hayes are comercial holes in the ground filled with ugly freak simo fish but I love the place. It's so easy going, turn up when you like leave when you like. have a beer, have a smoke, play a radio, watch telly, light a BBQ and have a great social. Providing you dont cause other anglers grief or annoyance you can pretty well do what you please providing you leave the swims as you found them ie. clean and free from litter.

OK I may sound like a real nightmare to fish with but I am actualy very passionate about Carp Fishing, take great care of the fish I land and am resonably succesfull. I just like to get a lot of relaxation out of My Fishing.

Oh as for Wadmill I fished a session there last year and spent over 24 hours of a weekend session trying to get and keep all three rods out for longer than 30 mins. At 8pm on the saturday I reeled them all in and slept solidly till Sunday morning. One of the most active sessions I have ever had landing well over 50 carp to 17lb.

YAFC,

We (Fox RAF) are fishing Big Hayes from Monday 0800 7th March to Wednesday 1300 9th March... Not in May have you got your days right...

If you are about on site them days pop across and say hello...

Lee

PR & Media Manager

FOX RAF Carp Team

LOL Yep ment March not May My Bad :lol:

Will be on Little Hayes so I'm sure we will can meet up and have a brew. I'm a tall bloke with a Jack Russell I'll be bringing along. If you guys are off Wednesday might even move on Wednesday evening and get 3 days on Big Hayes.

YAFC,

We (Fox RAF) are fishing Big Hayes from Monday 0800 7th March to Wednesday 1300 9th March... Not in May have you got your days right...

Lee

PR & Media Manager

FOX RAF Carp Team

LOL Yep ment March not May My Bad :lol:

Will be on Little Hayes so I'm sure we will can meet up and have a brew. I'm a tall bloke with a Jack Russell I'll be bringing along. If you guys are off Wednesday might even move on Wednesday evening and get 3 days on Big Hayes.

No worries, we finish the match at 12:00 so should be off by 13:00 but check with the shop before you move over just to make sure its ok... More than willing to give advice if needed on there too, as i have fished it a few times in matches....

One tip though, is many places do shut down after a big match especially when we are on, so if you are on the fish in little hayes i wouldn't move...

Guest Anonymous
YAFC,

Lee

PR & Media Manager

FOX RAF Carp Team

Lee,

Did you do my HFH do on Alresford with Jarvy?

thrust and parried there RAF man, i guess i should take my DPM non interservice winners backside and lower my head and slink on out of here... i suppose when i dont have a leg to stand on i sholud back down!!! :oops:

seriously, well done on the title pal. :) (choke choke)

regards,

I didn't catch any during that match, gave my partner the choice of swim, and he was the one that pulled out a new lake record from B2, but that's the way it goes.... Still he had it on some experimental bait I am playing with...

Guest Anonymous
I was there for the first night drinking & BBQ, but had to leave 1st thing the next morning as the wife had a accident in a ambulance and hurt her back so missed the fishing and the draw...

I remember now mate, it was a shame...............it's Stew by the way, hope you got your ariel back :D

And did you ever see the pics?

if i'm honest - no, i used to drive past it a lot and i know of many anglers who raved about it, i can be very fussy at times, when i get a pond in my minds eye, i just have to empty it.

broadlands seems to have a good reputation around these parts - as does todber.

i'm on a gorgeous small peaceful farm pond with caught fish to mid 20s and uncaught fish to approx 30+

ouchthathurt