Loam Pond , Sutton , Nr. Woodbridge , Suffolk

crusian

i drive past it every single day, and as i drive past ive seen just 1 car in its car park, and thats more than likley the bailiff as he lives up the road.

i dont think its particually fished that much,ive seen one or two brolleys on peg 13 as ive gone past in the summer, it used to fish in the winter once, but that was a different stamp of fish before they got eaten by otters.

to be honest, the sooner it has a otter fence around it, the sooner it will become a carp fishery, a point who ever is running it hasnt realised yet, and yes it can be done, if you try,till then it'll be somewhat of a failure.

Edited to remove swearing. Please don't do it again. Stoogi.

Cheers Jazzo

That's more or less what I feared .

I fished there 3 seasons ago and it was good fishing , but the next season the majority of the larger carp just seemed to vanish .

Oh well I guess I'll stay fishing where I am . :)

It wasn't otters who got the majority of the fish :!:

From a syndicate last year it has gone back to one of the local clubs (Saxmundham I think)

my point about otters reffered to the original stamp of fish dating back to the 1930's. out the back of the ponds is a stream that runs from low barn(nr too raf woodbridge) and down too the river deben, a motorway for the otters which otters use on a regular basis for the whole of that peninsula, both bawdsey side and felixstowe side affecting venue's from melton too sutton and down too kirton and whats left of kings fleet syndicate and beyond.

pre syndicate i regularly watched otters singlery and in pair's hunt and catch carp at loam for several years,even though the club and more importantly the EA denying their presence there after the EA releasing them just up the road by the owners of shottisham mill.

there have been instances of people stealing a few fish in the past, and ive caught quite a few night fishing, and with sacks with a few carp in them, and not only that loam has suffered at least 3 deisel spill's in the past, but as ive pointed out who ever runs loam, it wont be a success as a gem of a fishery as it could be until someone has the vision to put a propper fence around it.

When Woodbridge and District had the water I spent a fair bit of time around the lake. It was almost my "bolthole" during the summer along with a mate. We spent many hours fishing and watching the fish in there, and caught a fair few. There were a number of good fish that we have seen that were very rarely put on the bank. You could see plenty of good fish under the surface and even get them feeding under the bank in the "out of bounds", the islands between the pump house and the back bay. In particular there was a very big sandy coloured mirror that would come in close and push most of the other fish out the way. There were also a number of Leney stock, linears etc that were in there, that I have seen caught at over 20lb. Add into that a number of fish that WDAA put in, some commons and mirrors around a few pounds.

Yet last year when I was supposed to be working and sorting out a price for putting a fire extinguisher in the pump house I wangled a view (thank you Mr. Bailiff), and saw nothing into double figures. I had a long conversation with the bailiff as well about where the fish went and otters were not the first choice :wink:

I had that sandy mirror on once but it straightend a hook out, there was a larger mirror in there than that though, it had a large cluster scale on its head and two smaller clusters (like a ozzie flag)it went 29 lb most of the time, but was moved twice a long time before WDDA deserted loam, it now goes about 36lb.

im fully aware of all the mis-behaver's at loam, the bailiff being one example of who i used too catch night fishing in WDDA'S time there,and also although i wont name some fish movers, lets just say they were past and present people, who might have loved loam, but just cant help themselves.

Thanks for all the info. fellas , it's all very interesting , but a bit depressing as it sounds as like I spent season 2009/10 fishing for carp that weren't there ( despite what the bailiff said :!: ) .

Reading your replies Jazzo are you saying that ( freshwater ? ) otters would cross the River Deben from the Bawdsey side to the Felixstowe side ? .

Isn't the Deben saltwater at that point , or does the saltwater only enter the river from the sea for a few hundred yards ?.

those commons u see in there are from WDDA'S HOLTON water after the EA told WDDA that holton was overstocked and needed thinning out.

as for the otter's fresh/salt water doesnt make no difference to them,im not saying you will see them swimming off felixstowe pier, but they use the whole river and are often seen on the mud flats hunting crab,and if your in that part of the world, you'll see crab in the spraints somtimes, the salt water/freshwater actually starts up near the iron bridge ufford.