Running rig and baitboats.. avoiding tangles

dawolf

Just wondering if anyone here uses running rigs with baitboats? The reason ia sk is because i am thinking about switching to a running rig but however i am concerned about possible tangles with the lead is being released from the boat. Any personal experiences anyone with this scenario?

Use some PVA string to temporarily hold the lead next to the hooklink, once melted it then works as a running rig....

Another tip, open the bail arm on you reel to allow line to peel off, don't use the baitrunner as this creates big tangles in the mainline when using a baitboat to take your terminal tackle out..

Use a running rig and boat all the time and can confidentally say I can't recall ever getting a tangled rig, could be the coated braid that helps, as said if you are worried then use a bag or pva nugget to although I'm not sure how these will stop the tangles.

Best just experiementing at your lake and see what happens

I know it seemed like a silly question but the reason i asked was because normally when i cast these rigs i feather the cast so the hooklink kicks straight from the lead. I was just thinking with the boat, that it dumps the whole lot straight from the hopper with the reduced velocity as what a cast would hence my question about tangles. Ok it seems that most people here have used a running rig in a boat and had no problems. I have been stuck in old ways using the lead clip set up and now the fish are definately getting a bit riggy on my lake so i thought a running lead in conjunction with slack lines might increase my chances.

In relation to the actual running rig itself are you guys fishing shocker style with a stop bead or true running rig style?

• 2 weeks later...
I know it seemed like a silly question but the reason i asked was because normally when i cast these rigs i feather the cast so the hooklink kicks straight from the lead. I was just thinking with the boat, that it dumps the whole lot straight from the hopper with the reduced velocity as what a cast would hence my question about tangles. Ok it seems that most people here have used a running rig in a boat and had no problems. I have been stuck in old ways using the lead clip set up and now the fish are definately getting a bit riggy on my lake so i thought a running lead in conjunction with slack lines might increase my chances.

In relation to the actual running rig itself are you guys fishing shocker style with a stop bead or true running rig style?

well played on your explanation on the needed advice mate :lol::lol: with reagrds to the set up i use both running inline and shocker set up and never had problems with my bait boat on either,no tangles or owt!!!! but like what has been stated i do still but a little foam nugget on to avoid catching any debris.