MOORLAND FISHERIES 2010

moorsey

90 big fish (over 40lbs) between 200 anglers isn't bad!!

Thanks for that. In fact I have just realised that we won't have reached our "200 anglers" until the 30th October so we are probably running at an average of one forty for every second angler at the moment. We have also already seen another two fifties this week [The Half LInear at 51.00 lb (new fifty) and Clover at 51.02 lb] plus another new forty at 44.08 lb so we may just be able to reach the 100 forty plus carp by the end of the season to keep up the average.

Personally I am convinced that the key to the big growth rates was getting rid of all of the silver fish and introducing the snails as these seem to have spread everywhere and every lilie leaf or piece of weed is festooned with them.

Keith, how is martin getting on this week?

Guess what, i picked up a copy of free spool at horseshoe this week. I got a phone call from a mate on the lake saying he cant believe it, he moved halfaway round horseshoe to get away from me and then im looking at him from the pages of free spool magazine....... Quality. :lol:

Guess what, i picked up a copy of free spool at horseshoe this week. I got a phone call from a mate on the lake saying he cant believe it, he moved halfaway round horseshoe to get away from me and then im looking at him from the pages of free spool magazine....... Quality. :lol:

Hi Jamie

That fish that you're holding in Freespool has come out this week at 51.00 lb mate.

Martin's doing alright mate but he has lost a few including a mid forty that I got a good look at when I untangled it from some weed. In hind-sight I wish I had netted it for him then. He has had cats to 50.00 lb commons to mid thirties and mirrors to 37.04 lb so he is reasonably happy mate.

Keith

You holding fish is all I have seen this week - in flesh and print :x8) .

Keith - the article in said Freespool magazine, along with Jamie and Lewis' reports of your lake really make me regret not being able to make the trip with them. Would take a lot to stop me next time!

You holding fish is all I have seen this week - in flesh and print :x8) .

Keith - the article in said Freespool magazine, along with Jamie and Lewis' reports of your lake really make me regret not being able to make the trip with them. Would take a lot to stop me next time!

You'd be made very welcome mate.

Keith

I have just returned from my second trip to Moorlands and I just wanted to say thanks to Jan and Sharon for the hospitality the food was fantastic.

Now about Moorsy!!! He was like Basil Fawlty on steriods :lol::lol:

No really Keith thanks again for all your help and advice. It really was a fantastic week for both my wife and myself.

The company was awsome Steve,Mark and the Wigan Boys where great (once the northerners had got used to the electric lights and flush toilets) :D:D:D:D

The fish are all in fantastic condition not a scale out of place. No leaders or tubing, light leads, running rigs Who knows it could catch on!!!!!!!

thanks again mate

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus, thats a monster. Over 1 in 4 fish caught being over 40lb is a massive acheivement the rest averaging well into the 30s, great scenery, mostly great weather, no outside noise and excellent service........ I better start sorting out some cash for april :lol::lol:

Nice one Keith. What fish was it?

just been and had a look..... one of my favourites..... wouldn't mind making it 3 captures in 3 trips..... (it is the half lin right?) :lol:

Well done Keith, trust it to have been you to have it, Nice one

Yes mate it is the half lin. Talk about luck, I only decided to fish this week because we had a couple of late cancellations and it only left 3 anglers on the lake. It has been really bitter cold and the water has dropped to 9.5 deg's so I wasn't really expecting too much.

She wouldn't be the obvious choice for biggest fish in the lake and I'm waiting to see if "Clover", "Minty", "The Eighteen" or "Benign" steals the title and completes the tenth different fifty. Watch this space. :wink:

Jesus, thats a monster. Over 1 in 4 fish caught being over 40lb is a massive acheivement the rest averaging well into the 30s

Is that right Keith you have only had approx 400 fish out this year. As Coops says over 1 in 4 being over 40lb and you've had 100 forties out to 200 anglers. That equates to just over 400 and only an average of 2 fish per angler?

Jesus, thats a monster. Over 1 in 4 fish caught being over 40lb is a massive acheivement the rest averaging well into the 30s

Is that right Keith you have only had approx 400 fish out this year. As Coops says over 1 in 4 being over 40lb and you've had 100 forties out to 200 anglers. That equates to just over 400 and only an average of 2 fish per angler?

No mate the totals include over 400 thirties plus the forties and fifties. In order to avoid confusion I have listed below the carp caught to date.

816 carp landed

41 doubles

74 low twenties

187 upper twenties

414 thirties to 39.15 lb.

88 forties to 49.15 lb

12 fifties [commons to 51.02 lb & mirrors to 56.12 lb]

You will see by the list above that, of the 816 carp landed, 514 have been over thirty pounds and we have several more fish to be added yet before we complete our 200th angler.

Just a quick update that the last 24 hours have seen another new forty common at 43.15 lb plus another mirror at 49.06 lb and a new lake record in the shape of Clover at 57.14 lb.That now gives us 13 fifties banked this year and 12 different carp of 48.00 lb or more.

Keith

Dont be shy Keith... !

The grapevine has it they you were the captor of these fish?

Well done on Clover... she has to be a prime suspect for being your first 60 next year

Lol. That's the first time I've ever been accused of being shy. Thank you for your wishes and I hope you also have a very good 2011.

Keith

Ralphj, time perhaps for me to jump in and use my accounting skills, Keith's statistics show that almost 1 in 8 fish caught this season have been over 40lbs and over 60% of the total fish caught have been over 30lbs, a very creditable result for any lake!! Not allowed to quote my own results as a non advertiser!! :(

It all takes time, patience, belief and a lot of money!!

• 5 months later...

Rather than start another thread I though it better to continue this one with a few updates.

This week so far has seen the following numbers of carp landed.

37 thirties

13 forties

2 fifties at 53lb 8oz and 54lb 4oz.

We are struggling to find fish below thirty pounds this year.

Keith

Just returned from another fantastic trip to Moorlands. The fishing was amazing as was the food. I'd like to thank Moorsy and all his crew for making my wife and myself welcome.

I personally banked 26 fish. 12 carp (2 PBs) 14 Cats (1 PB) a few to many cats but that is a small niggle.

The other anglers where good company and the banter was flying thick and fast.

Congratulations to both The Kung-Fu Panda and Kirk from Corrie on the capture of The Eighteen and Clover.

Keith and Robin could not be more helpful with their advice. Robin even offered to show Shirley (my wife) his special pink tip!!! though to be honest I would have thought it better to wait until she was out of the shower :o:lol::lol:

I also had the amazing sight of a giant of a man (kung- Fu panda) give lessons in how to disarm an attacker bare handed then to see said man refuse to handle a 10lb cat in case it bit him and then to proceed to electrocute himself while standing in a lake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A donkey had it's nuts cut off and Bob caught a fish both events that I have rarely seen :lol:

Keep doing what you do Keith see you soon Martin

Cheers Martin

I now find that the Kung-fu panda's fish wasn't "The Eighteen" as I first thought. "The Eighteen" was landed this morning at 52lb 0oz and I now know that the 53lb 8oz fish was "Cut-Tail".

At least I got "Clover" right and at 54lb 4oz she remains our biggest carp this year so far.

Take care mate and hope to see you soon.

Keith