leadcore

miltonkeynes

i have fished carp lakes for 4 years now and the rules have stated that you are not allowed to use leadcore. However i have just joined a local water where you are allowed to use it, so i need some help on how to actually use it.

For example how would i incorporate it into a running rig. does your line go through the leadcore like tubing, or do you tie it on to your mainline.

cheers for the help.

Korda, Fox, Gardner all make ready made Leaders.

I prefer to make my own using ESP Leadcore so I can get them to exactly the length I require.

I splice both ends so I can Uni Knot it to the Mainline and Loop-to-loop my Rigs on using a swivel. I can change rigs in seconds doing it that way.

I prefer to use Running Leads so that in the event of a Snap-off the Lead is not trapped on the Leader.

You will probably find that 5ft is probably a Bit long. best length is probably between 2-4ft.

Incidentally DON'T forget that the weight of the Inner of the Leadcore, the Lead itself, will count towards your loading of the Rod. So if you are using a 3oz Lead then add the weight of the Lead as well as your Bait/PVA Attachments and you may be overloading the Rod.

No Matter whether you fish Leadcore with a Running Lead, Semi-Fixed or Helicopter set-up it must be safe for the Carp! :!:

• 2 weeks later...

you state that for years you havent actually used leadcore, but you can now. before using it, ask yourself this, do you actually need to use it? you have managed alright up to now without it, why change you rigs if your happy with them? prsonally, i use ESP leadcore, have used leadcore for years now. i feel its most safe used as a helicopter rig, as the hooklink can slide up and off the leadcore, as opposed to staying tied on to it. wvwn without the bomb, discarded leadcore can be lethal if it becomes tangled. i dont like the use of over heavy hooklinks either, i use 10-12lb hooklinks, something a tethered carp can snap fairly easily. i feel if the situation warrants a heavy hooklink, 25-30lb, then the situations may not right for leadcore anyway... also, the tubing that ESP sell, sinktube, or something like that, is as heavy as leadcore anyway, so you get the same benifits as leadcore from a tubing, which is easier to use. just because a place allows leadcore, you dont necessarily have to use it. i had good results using amnesia leaders and wychwood clear leaders when everyone else used leadcore.

:roll:

you state that for years you havent actually used leadcore, but you can now. before using it, ask yourself this, do you actually need to use it? you have managed alright up to now without it, why change you rigs if your happy with them

Exactly what i was going to say. I have never used leadcore & dont think will. If i do then it certainly wont be "just because i can".

you state that for years you havent actually used leadcore, but you can now. before using it, ask yourself this, do you actually need to use it? you have managed alright up to now without it, why change you rigs if your happy with them

Exactly what i was going to say. I have never used leadcore & dont think will. If i do then it certainly wont be "just because i can".

i have used it but after seeing the damage it has done to fish i stopped, my choice i have seen first hand carp stuck in snags large cuts to the side of fish so i just won't use it

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

As a 'caring' Carper I beg you to get plenty of advice about tying leadcore... use running rigs. We all know the dangers about poor ol' carp swimming about with a 3oz lead fastened to it's bottom lip but just be sensible when using it. A few people I know are more concerned with losing their gear & the amount of £'s's it'll cost them if they get smashed up, a rig is only as good as the knots, use rig glue just to make sure. Ultimately the fish is your No.1 priority, not your catch records.

As a 'caring' Carper I beg you to get plenty of advice about tying leadcore... use running rigs. We all know the dangers about poor ol' carp swimming about with a 3oz lead fastened to it's bottom lip but just be sensible when using it. A few people I know are more concerned with losing their gear & the amount of £'s's it'll cost them if they get smashed up, a rig is only as good as the knots, use rig glue just to make sure. Ultimately the fish is your No.1 priority, not your catch records.

I agree with most of your points, but the exception is using Rig Glue on Leadcore.

Rig Glue can actually make the Leadcore more brittle and likely to crack off, as it can on other knots. I don't need to Glue any of my knots and I test them properly before casting out. My Splices are not glued as the Leadcore grips itself.

I'm not worried about losing gear, its the safety factor that worries me, and using something that could actually create more possible weak spots is something that I can do without.

There is a thread somewhere about SuperGlue and knots that I started

Guest Anonymous

100% agree... I don't use the glue either, that was simply to advise a 'newby' if the knot tying wasn't brilliant. I suppose what I should have said was to buy a couple of Fox tension bars to test the knots before he uses the rig. :oops:

i have used it but after seeing the damage it has done to fish i stopped, my choice i have seen first hand carp stuck in snags large cuts to the side of fish so i just won't use it

I agree totally.

Guest Anonymous
What about the fox rig glue???

What about it? It has it's place but if knots are tied properly there's simply no need for it. I do carry rig glue but I use it to stick floaters to the hook shank when the fish are easily spooked with hair rig's in very clear water & use Fox Illusion line.

• 2 weeks later...

with leadcore, i worry about any rig that has the hooklink tied directly to the core, thats why i like helicopter rigs, where the hooklink can slide off the core leader when you snap off. the bdest leaders ive found recently are the clear leaders by wychwood, its totally different to leadcore, and the change can be a bonus with pressured fish.

• 1 month later...

i do not feel i need to use a helicoptor rig or a running lead with lead core

i use 22lb braided main line ,45lb leadcore leader, i splice the leadcore both ends atttached my main line direct to the leader and my hooklink to a swivel usualy no higher than a 12lb braicking strian , i slide a safety clip onto the leadcore down to the swivel making sure if i lift the leadcore the clip with lead attached will run backwards with out force.After landing a carp my tail stop is always i mean always half way up my line, now in my mind and has only ever happened is that the hooklink will snap first.

ive never had a leadcore leader give on me in about 6 years or more of using them. but if it did i know for sure the lead would be ejected. Is this still a death rig?

so i dont see the difference with this or a helicopter rig or running lead.

i understand that the carp will trail the leadcore until it ejects the hook but i myself have never come acroos this but i have caught carp with yards of snapped off mono wrapped around them with the tubbing pushed very tight over the swivel with no chance of coming off. which can cause exstream damage to.