Teaching the Mrs to Fish Venue IDEAS??? London, Essex area

Hi, I have recently moved to London and ive brought my gear up. Having spent nearly 5 years fishing the linner complex over in oxfordshire (my home town) im looking for a new venue to get my teeth into. Only issue is maybe I need 2 now one for me one for the mrs! She wants to come along...Any suggestions on nice easy runs waters which i can take her to within an hour of SE16 7TX _ Surrey quays london??? Also suggestions on decent lakes around here for me, im alot less needy :)

Main answer is why not, if she is interested then take her along, i see it as just not fishing but getting out, and doing stuff together and seeing nature and all that stuff.

Plus it helps both of you unwind from the daily grind of London.

Why not have a look at the Walthamstow Complex etc.....

You should consider one of the many fisheries in west Essex (accessible by M25 or A13). You can get over the water (Thames) by either going through Blackwall Tunnell or Limehouse Link and then onto the various main roads fairly quickly (if you go at a decent time). Birds Green in Ongar immediately springs to mind, as does the Warrens' Square Lake (near Stanford Le-Hope, Essex.) Churchgate Lakes in Battlesbridge (perhaps not so west Essex anymore) is worth a punt, I had 11 Carp out out of there the other week. There's loads around Brentwood. If you want to travel a bit further round the M25 there's an abundance of Pits, Commercials and River sections around Waltham Abbey, Cheshunt, Broxbourne and so on, mostly managed by Lee Valley, so have a look at their website on Google. Feel free to ask any specific questions on particular vanues, I'll try and help.

There's loads of places down in Kent, Sussex, Surrey....

In your area you have Rotherhithe Angling Club, as far as I know they own that ditch of a water next to the shopping centre at Surrey Quays. Allegedly (very allegedly) there's a couple of huge carp, possibly high thirties, that have never been caught. Who knows? You can also check out the various docks around Canary Wharf etc, they are fishable, but I'm not certain how you can get a permit, nor how hard (and I use the word "hard" knowing it will be) it is to catch fish. Might be better off gongs to Billingsgate next door, if you're in the area. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

hah just saw this thread. i have just signed up to fish the docks at canary wharf for membership print out the form at this address http://www.isleofdogsangling.btik.com/p_Form.ikml

If anyone here has fished the docks in canary wharf PLEASE give me a few tips, i am going to fish them as soon as my permit arrives, but they are about 70 foot deep in places, the only guys i have seen on the bank are match guys catching little silvers but there are definitely carp in there. I was thinkning waggler about 10 feet down but, is it possible to catch carp on the bottom at this depth???????????

sorry for double post, but if you are after a runs water with fish to 20lb+ china lane is the one, the fish love it on top as well as the bottom and you are nearly guarantee'd a fish from there. here is a map of all the fishing venues in essex most are within an hour of you

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=100875891508321499830.000456135cc8221872811

btw if you can please add any lakes you know of to this map, as its an invaluable tool when looking for new venues. thanks