Merrington

I think he was going to stock 200 simmo fish this month.Why i don't know there is already supposed to be a stock of 200 good fish in there.I did 2 48hr sessions and blanked.The owner of that lake is just a lier and full off bullsh1t.20 anglers doing 48hrs and 1 fish caught surely says it all.Even the session i did a couple of weeks prior there was 8 of us on there and only a couple of fish out.

Nice lake tho and has the potential,but not with simmos in their.

Fished at merrington about a month ago and blanked

There was about 15 others doing overnighters and I think three fish where banked. None of them over 15lb

I think that there are a few pro's and cons to this water.

Pros:

Not a bad looking lake

Clean

Good Swims (bark laid)

Cabin open in the daytime

Some decent fish

Bacon and egg butties in the morning

Sexy farmers daughter bringing you the butties

Cons:

The farmers daughter told me that she had never seen a carp caught :shock:

The farmer doesnt know his arse from his elbow about carp fishing.

I have been told that some of the photos in the carp shack where taken not after captures but when the fish where stocked :cry:

I was told and i say again TOLD that trading standards were investigating complaints about the fishery.

When i fished there at a social 1 fish out all weekend out of 20 anglers.When i got home later on the Sunday i phoned up and asked how the place was fishing[making out i was going to fish there lol].The person i spoke to said yes its fishing well and the place was packed this weekend.I said oh right how do you call 1 fish caught in 48hrs between 20 anglers, fishing well.At that point the phone went dead.If you want a good weekend camping then Merrington is the place.

• 3 years later...

Hi to all people thing of fishing the Merrington in Shropshire.. I was fishing the Marton pool this weekend "as i live in Shrewsbury" the bailiff was telling me that the merrington have lost over 60% of there fish to diseases and there biggest fish in there now is a round 20lbs.. I know to 2 carp anglers from liverpool how have fished it from the start and they have pooled fish out of there with boiles and puss coming out of them.. they got the farmers daughter to have a look at them and she said that she would get them looked at..and nothing more was said..there is know way 350 fish in there now and when you turn up the daught says you can fish the stock pools and any carp over 10lb to be put in the big lake.. very nice lake.. nice pegs.. but KNOW fish in there to many pike way to many..the farmer has not got any ideas on how to run the lake he leaves it upto his daughter who is abot 16yrs old.. they should sell the lake and let some know what they are doing to run the lake..IF YOU LIKE CAMPING AND CATCHING NOTHING GO TO THE MERRINGTON ITS GOOD FOR THAT.. if you know of any good day ticket places in shropshire-cheshire-staffordshire can you please post them here..

god we are going next thursday thought it was a good pace to go we are coming from anglesey 2.5hrs away is it that bad

Don't panic! Most of the comments on this thread are too old to be relevant.

Example, mach3 (malc) has, since his condemning post, landed a cracking 29lb 14oz carp from there in the teeth of a serious storm. I was there. The storm WAS serious, the fish WAS cracking.

The comments about the lack of fish caught at socials held there are no longer accurate, you have only got to refer to the threads covering the several recent socials and mini-socials held there to realise that there are some good fish to be had.

Indeed, our esteemed administrater Nick, had a fish around 26lb, if memory serves, at the Grumpy Old Gits bash. I've since had fish to 16lb 8oz and 12lb 13 oz at relaxed gatherings there.

To all considering fishing there soonish, be aware that we are close to/amongst spawning time and that djiq's comment about "puss" may have been mistaken for spawning milt.

Ian

Guest magic1969

the british carp championships is being held at merrington second week in june so like ian said it can not be that bad has anyone else fished it in the last 3month

Not a new report BUT i would not recomend this lake at least for a good while... i was at a social in september(2009)i was there for a weekend) with many on here malc being one of the guys ,malc if i remember right did catch a couple, jem caught along with i think it was 2 other guys .Cant remember anything very big coming out but there were fish in there ...This would be open to debate by 95 percent the anglers that have been there in recent years from what i can gather unfortunatly... .Outta the whole lake there were only a couple pegs free so it was pretty full .Most of us were there for the weekend but some had spent a few more days earlier in the week up there,the extra time on the lake was most likely spent on activitys much more rewarding than fishing THIS lake.lol. It is not a runs water is very very hard i do think the farmer there knows nowt about his fish or his lake and what people have to remember is it is his buisness he earns money from the lake ,and just like a dodgy car dealer would sell you a right lemon and make out its a grade 1 "A" star car,i certainly feel Merrington is as far as pools go a bit naff or some would say VERY VERY HARD ..lol i reckon its both .. :)

It certainly aint easy, if i remember right i had 7 fish with the best being a 20lb common. Malc had his 29lb 14oz common a few weeks later when we had a mini social. Like all waters it is better mid week when it's a bit quieter, at weekends when it's rammed it is always going to be difficult. Try something a bit different from the standard boilie, stick mix approach. All my fish came on a large bunch of worms, approx 12 on a hair. Malcs big fish came of chickpeas both tactics which aint exactly in common use. :lol:

Just to add to what Jez said about worms on the hair, he advised me to try them and within hours of doing so I was into a good fish, my first Merrington carp, in fact.

The place could never be described as a runs water but encourages and rewards a thoughtful approach. Strange maybe, but I enjoy fishing there and knowing that if I catch, I've worked for it.

One more point, don't ignore the close margin, especially at night.

Ian

Guest magic1969

yes mach 3 the fish were in very good condition but it is a very hard water best to go midweek use single hookbaits with 6-10 free offerings near by.night seemed to bring the fish on also caught fish from all parts of the lake so can not give a good spot fake corn works also.would defo go back and fish merrington lovely lake .......

hi just done 48hurs only had one at 14lb 6oz and lost one, from peg 8 ,loads on there was 4 20+ out and 9 over 14lbs..,the right hand bank did 3 off the 20s and 8 off the 14+ ... all the fish come from the middle on single hook baits.. peg 10 11 and 12 did the most fish,, do not put loads off bait in thats what i did and did not get i bite for 40 hurs only got 2 bites when i moved peg and cast to the middle, will be going back very soon really nice place and lovely fish, :o:o:o