IOW

• 1 month later...

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46810

recent thread about the isle of wight

heres a club which also owns some water

www.iwfaa.org.uk

gunville will most likley be the best day ticket lake from the iwfaa for you carp to 28lb but can be tricky to catch

but rookley has some good fishing in the little lake with fishto 23lb and the big lake with fish to 40lb with 1 in the 40s

Thanks, I had actually searched out the thread that you linked to.

Not seen that IOW fishing club website before though, is it relatively new? The last one I saw was pretty hard to make any sense of!

I was considering Rookley, but having spoken to the owner / bailiff I was a bit put off to be honest. He basically wasn't very helpful and didn't seem interested in answering my questions, so I went on the hunt again.

I'll certainly fish Hale Common on a few morning / evening sessions (as it's a family holiday and that's how I will be fishing) but for one day I wanted to have a special session and Combley seemed to fit the bill. I'd hazard a guess that Gunville gets pretty rammed?

Thanks for the tips, in any case.

surprisingly gunville is quite a quiet lake most of the time only around a max of 5 ofther anglers on it at any time. the website has been done up since you last seen one for that club cause as you said it was hard to get around where as this new one is so much better

hale common aint a bad place good amount of carp in it and you should catch

and tim at rookley is normally quite helpfull well he is to me at least and others i know have a high opinon of him im kinda guessing you could have been talking to one of his collegues.

surprisingly gunville is quite a quiet lake most of the time only around a max of 5 ofther anglers on it at any time. the website has been done up since you last seen one for that club cause as you said it was hard to get around where as this new one is so much better

hale common aint a bad place good amount of carp in it and you should catch

and tim at rookley is normally quite helpfull well he is to me at least and others i know have a high opinon of him im kinda guessing you could have been talking to one of his collegues.

Cheers mate - though you've kind of made things worse. :lol:

If there's not many people at Gunville, and I spoke to the wrong bloke at Rookley, perhaps I should re-think. Hale Common is a certainty - it's a 5 minute walk from were my parents stay (and they will be there at the same time as me), I fished it every time I was on the Island (10 times, or thereabouts) and because last year I caught a beautiful Common on a crushed ragworm, as I seriously struggled to get proper bait before that particular session. :oops:

Do you live there, renoufchr?

Thanks again.

yea live in newport on the isle of wight :wink:

havent fished hale common personally for a while

been doing some sessions at gunville and been cathching alot of the smaller carp tey put in a couple years ago between 4-8lb atm but growing fast and the odd double here and there with some nice tench in between

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the big lake, the little one didn't really appeal.

Hale Common was cool; just pile the bait in. There's a spot on the car park side, about mid-way down, that has a bed of reeds to the left hand side of it. Was a really prolific spot. Plus under the overhanging branches (you need to lock up to fish safely) in the next peg along. All fish were in good condition and fought well. Lost another two aswell.

Hi, just asking for a bit of advice if poss. I am off to the Isle of Wight and wondered if anyone knows if there are any small lakes to fish there. Thanks in advance for any replies.

i lived on the isle of wight for 34 years so hear is what i know about the place.

rookley park: has two ponds, one for easy course fishing and the other is a little tricky. look in carp talk for whats coming out and also there should be tims number as he runs the lakes.

hale common: has two lakes, one for day ticket, very easy and the other is members only of the isle of wight fishing club, well worth joining just to fish this lake as it is quite easy and has fish up to 30lb.

Gunville: great lake very snaggy but can turn up a good fish or two.

Cowes res: again easy and if you fish on the underwater walk way you will get a bite a cast.

Island fish farm: small lake with fish up to 27lb again very easy if you fish under the willow.

Whitwell: two lakes full of small carp and a bare hook will catch it is that easy.

All the decent lakes are syndicate and have waiting lists as long as your arm.

Hi, just asking for a bit of advice if poss. I am off to the Isle of Wight and wondered if anyone knows if there are any small lakes to fish there. Thanks in advance for any replies.

hale common: has two lakes, one for day ticket, very easy and the other is members only of the isle of wight fishing club, well worth joining just to fish this lake as it is quite easy and has fish up to 30lb.

false mate hale common has two lakes 1 day ticket 1 syndicate not owned by the IWFAA syndicate is also very limited and hard to get on

also whitwell has 3 lakes

false mate hale common has two lakes 1 day ticket 1 syndicate not owned by the IWFAA syndicate is also very limited and hard to get on

also whitwell has 3 lakes

sorry yes you are right i was thinking of merstone. My father in law fishes the day ticket and was told by the bailiff that they netted the syndicate lake to get the smaller fish out and some of the nicer size fish where put into the day ticket by mistake.

I visited Merstone one day (pure, PURE luck that I found it) and one of the anglers said that the lake with the island (one of the day ticket ones) has carp in it to 15lb. So, does that mean that the pond with all the weed / pads was where the larger carp were transferred to? Surely not? It looks virtually unfishable!

re: Hale Common - due to a day ticket misdemeanor (ie: I paid, filled in the ticket, then promptly left it in the ticket wagon) I had quite a lengthy chat with the bailiff at Hale Common (his name escapes me, perhaps Paul). Extremely helpful chap, and seemingly nice fella. Anyway, he said the syndicate on the other lake is run by the people that live in the house that's nearby. I wouldn't know who / how to contact them, but if you bump into him he will probably be able to help. Regarding the venue itself, he said it's extremely hard. Low stock, etc, though the fish go to mid-thirties. Hope that's of some use....

good to hear theres still a good stock in by the sounds of it. on bait ive always done well in there on the method feeder

i did hear the polish have hit it from a couple people but then that it wasnt true from alot more others

It's prolific, no doubt about it. If you spent an entire day there, I reckon you could have 20+ fish, provided you absolutely pile the bait in.

TIP: The bailiff said that the carp are suckers for floating bread along the wall, as the Sun goes down... :wink:

I used a method feeder on one rod constantly, and apart from my last session, I always had a fish within 5 minutes of my arrival...but then quiet, regardless of where I cast, which was strange. I had a few more on the method (sporadically) but the majority of my fish came from well positioned / baited spots with tiny PVA sticks and a bed of pellets and crushed boilies...

I didn't see any people fishing for any other reason than enjoyment. My five sessions consisted of dawn / dusk (curse my eyes / the low light) which I would say would be prime time for anyone wanting to do anything untoward. I hope I am right...I am pretty confident that I am.

Great place. I hope it never changes (with the exception of the fish getting bigger).

• 2 years later...