bait nutritional profile spreadsheet for calculation

Hello I have recently put together the beginnings of a spreadsheet to help me try to calculate protein levels for boilies I make myself , I hope to expand this further when i have time to include carbs fat etc.

Would anyone be interested in looking at the spreadsheet and commenting or making improvement suggestions ?

P.S it is in excel format

Best Regards

Kieran

This ais a quote of mine from another thread:

An excess of protein can be used for energy :wink:

However excess of fats and carbohydrates (energy providers) can't be utilised for growth as protein is.

The first requirement in diet is the energy source.

The balance of diet should be roughly 45% maximum for protein, you also do need the fats, vitamins and minerals etc, as they are also an important part of the diet, as is roughage, usually the binder, most often wheat gluten or semolina.

While I applaud the idea, that is not the whole truth, as proteins from different sources sometimes have amino acids in common, and other times some totally different. Carp have a requirement for a certain number of amino acids, and others are synthesized from those already present.

Add into that by "blending" proteins you don't necessarily increase the protein content, or even needing a binder can radically drop a protein level.

In theory, by having a vegetable protein, a fishmeal or meat meal and a milk protein you have covered all of the essentials as long as you have a bait that ends up around that 35-45% (ish)

Hi

Ok i see so 35-45% is optimal protein level if understand you correctly?

Also protein needs to be from vcarious sources to give a good amino acid profile in the bait.

This is exactly what i have been planning by adding several protein source informations to the spreadsheet I am hoping to produce a bait with a good amino profile whilst still giving 35-45% protein

Does this sound correct to you ?

Would you like too see the spreadsheet i have included whey , fishmeals such as krill squid and shrimp you can alter the qtys for everything and at the moment it will only give the protein % of the bait but I hope to add more info as I said to include the carbs et c etc

I would appreciate your criticism / comments

Guest keenook

I would say GO FOR IT!

Sounds like a great idea to help members to understand a little more about the important subject of baits!

Top effort, thank you! :wink:

If there is a way I can share this spreadsheet on the post I am happy to do so it is an idea at present but if people wish to add their own info to the spreadsheet perhaps we could make a kind of communal resourse that we could all add to creating in my opinion a useful tool to formulate mixes if there is no way to add the spreadsheet to the post any one interested give your email and i will sendd you a copy

Cheers

Guest keenook

I am NO bait buff,

However I know that certain ingredients will catch Carp!

I only have two types of baits, three with a tweek!

PM me any time :wink:

If there is a way I can share this spreadsheet on the post I am happy to do so it is an idea at present but if people wish to add their own info to the spreadsheet perhaps we could make a kind of communal resourse that we could all add to creating in my opinion a useful tool to formulate mixes if there is no way to add the spreadsheet to the post any one interested give your email and i will sendd you a copy

Cheers

If you can save it as an Adobe file on a host server it may be able to be linked to, (the same as pictures and image links)

I will see what I can find out.

I wil try to find somewhere i can host the file so it can be linked to

#I know a few people that have web space so hopefully this will not be a great problem

There are various sites like 'Megaupload' that lets you store files for free for a certain length of time. I'm not sure if it works with excel files but I have used it for videos.

I would have thought the best way is to email it to people who PM you.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rotory35
Hi

Ok i see so 35-45% is optimal protein level if understand you correctly?

Also protein needs to be from vcarious sources to give a good amino acid profile in the bait.

This is exactly what i have been planning by adding several protein source informations to the spreadsheet I am hoping to produce a bait with a good amino profile whilst still giving 35-45% protein

Does this sound correct to you ?

Would you like too see the spreadsheet i have included whey , fishmeals such as krill squid and shrimp you can alter the qtys for everything and at the moment it will only give the protein % of the bait but I hope to add more info as I said to include the carbs et c etc

I would appreciate your criticism / comments

can i just add-that it would be wise to look into a carps dietry needs,not just as a protein count, but biologically by seeing what amino acids are required and at what quantities(try dietry requirment for mature carp in a search on the web), then gather the ingredients which containe a healthy dose of the aminos-theres 12 essential amino acids, leucine,isoleucine,valine,cysteine,cystine,histidine,lysine,methionine,phenylalanine,taurine,threonine,trytophan-also 2 co-factors needed are pyrodoxal s,phosphate (vit-B6),and magnesium.

a carp can sythisise the others it needs itself.

interestingly enough-fishmeal ticks just about all these boxes,as does whole eggs, the highest ive found is spirulina which is high in protein and full of amino acids.

well worth looking into if your into this sort of thing.

• 10 years later...