sale of carp

deebee

HI this aimed at existing fishery owners. We have a lake in south west france, and we are having to drain the lake to do work to the dam, we are concerned that the number of fish we have will not safely fit into the stock lake, so are looking to sell some, but have no idea on the rules for selling fish. If you could come back with some advice would be much appreciated.

If you are talking about removal of small carp then unfortunately their market value is zero....

If you contact a professional fishfarmer to remove them they will have all the necessary paperwork in place to net & remove them. I would contact fatfish (on this forum).

Roach would have some value but fatfish would be best placed to advise you.

Unfortunately removal of fish during the summer is unadvisable but I am sure that the work you are planning is autumn/winter?

The work is hopefully starting end sept. the fish we're talking about aren't small, so you think selling to a fish farm is the way to go.

i dought fish farms will have them off you tbh, Diseases and parasites etc?

Fish farmers also act as agents for other people with lakes that want to sell fish, as Mrs Rushes says, Fatfish would be a good person to contact. Of course fish farms wouldn't take them as they farm their own fish and keep the same strain (usually) and as you say wouldn't take the risk of diseases being introduced.

HI this aimed at existing fishery owners. We have a lake in south west france, and we are having to drain the lake to do work to the dam, we are concerned that the number of fish we have will not safely fit into the stock lake, so are looking to sell some, but have no idea on the rules for selling fish. If you could come back with some advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you Kim for putting my name forward

Can you tell me if you are doing the draining your self or are you using a fish farmer ?

Also what size fish are you looking to sell ?

Regards Neil Wilson

FCS Pisciculture

www.frenchcarpsupplies.com

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly you will need permision from the DDAF for a drain down and they may require a health check on the fish. What ever you do, Do not neglect to contact the DDAF.

I have owned and run a fishery in France for over 10 years in the SW France and needles to say seen a lot of fisherys come and go, But one of the biggest reasons of seeing fisherys going to the wall is P ing off the DDAF.

Fatfish is very clued up and knows what he is talking about.

Tight Lines

Paul

hi paul

Thanks for your post, the work we are carrying out is part of a DDAF directive, so we are well aware of working with them and not upsetting them. We have also contacted fatfish who as you say is very informative and hopefully will be able to give us some help with our project.

Many Thanks

Deebee

• 4 weeks later...
Guest planchon

Hi Deebee,

We drained and emptied the lake last year in Nov 2009 and had no stock pond at the time.

The directive from the DDA was as follows, the following questions had to be answered and cleared with the DDA

1) What method of emptying will be used to drain the lake, that’s to say:

*Give the programme for draining: what will happen during the operation, how long for, and how often will this take place…

* What system is in place to recuperate the fish during this process,

* What system will be put in place to maintain a sufficient free circulation of the fish in an area of water during the emptying procedure and also during the time of reintroducing the fish to the lake?

* The proposed methods’ must not carry any risk to any other fisheries,

* The application required to reduce to a minimum any risks of pollution to the water tables taking in to account that the responsibility will be directed to the person who is in charge of the emptying process and there should be a third party liability insurance in place for any damage caused to persons or the water table and streams within the area.

From what I learnt, rules are that you can only sell the fish to a Fish Farmer or you give them away and you need a license to transport more than 15kg of Live fish.

Hope that helps,

Kiran