wyreside st michaels, help please

• 2 weeks later...

I have fished this water for the past two years, more reguilalry this summer.

Jay will hopefully back me up on this one, but I really rate wyreside. Its stocked with a number fo good sided carp, averaging approx 16-19Lb (right Jay?) with some good 20's and 1 or 2 30's too, with a couple of cats in the mix as well.

Its a beautiful water, with features to fish to in every peg, although one slight criticism is that some pegs are a little close together and in the busier months, mid week fishing is advisable as at weekends it can get 'stitched up'

Peg wise, they are all labellled, I have fished both ends of the lake (pegs 1 and 2) and (peg 7, 8, 9) and would say, on reflection, that the top end of the lake is most productive (7,8,9,10). The top end is the deepest end, so at this time of year could well be the way forward

We have caught fish on all manor of baits, havent we Jay! Although the last session proved particulalry productive on fusion biollies. Other recommended baits are maize and pepperarmi. I have found the bottom to be quite weedy so have had success on popped up baits.

Hopefully Jay can add some more info as he is much more epxerienced angler than me and has fished the venue a lot more regulalry

Good luck!

Hi Phil,

Good luck at Linear, It was a night mare 2 weeks ago, Oxleys being full and St Johns, the only lake that was free had a 2 mile hike from the Car Park.

OK, Fester

Yes Phil is very correct the lake is heavily stocked with good quality fish ranging from 12 - 22lb with lots of mid twenties and the biggest carp being around 35-37ib abound 5-6 of them. Lake is around 4 Acres, with a good head of around 350-400 fish, according to Albury...(Fisheries Manager)

There are a couple of mid 30 Catfish in the lake also (hoping to catch one next week)

The lake and it's settings are very scenic, with various trees which provide great cover and lake layout and design provides very accomodating swims. The new management company have put alot of effort and money into making this a safe and quality fishing environment going to the level of providing Picnis tables and log boundaries around the swims, there are alos toilets and shower facilites (Clean)

The lake itself as Phil explains has many features including gravel bars, overhanging trees and liley pads etc, however at the bottom end pegs can be a little tricky as I feel peg 7 needs taking away to provide better swim coverage.

Mid week fishing is advisable as at the weekends the lake is full and very pressured!

Myself and Phil had a good session recently bagging some very nice fish up to 19lb around 16-18 fish between us If I remember rightly and the smallest being 14lb, however these beautiful Carp fought like complete loonatics, and provided us with some very good entertainment and Adrenalin rushes :)

Myself and Phil, tried a range of baits on this lake with Fusion boilies from Mainline being the most productive. We found that as Phil states, Meaty Boilies work and Pepperami, and maize worked well for Phil on a popup, but unfortunatly not for me.

i have also started using bait from a local supplier and have tried the shellfish 15mm boilies with success.

Bait is always down to the individual and what you feel confident with but from my expearience the following work:

Fusion

NRG

Shellfish

Meaty Crab

Phil had some screammmming runs on these...........Woke you up mate huh hehehe

Make a good Ground Bait up also, I use the following in Korda Boilie netting:

10mm Source Boilies (chopped)

Amino Black Ground Bait

Halibut Pellets various sizes

Fusion Pellet

Frenzied Hemp

Some Maize

Fossoil (Attractant)

Boilie base mix

Tin of Meatly mix (Dynamite)

Give it a good old mix up and make it really oily, even drizzle in a little mollassess.

This works for me, other people may have other potions :)

Remember Its now Autumn/Winter they will be on the last feeding frenzie and then they will drop off suddenly, so Don't hammer the bait out there you will kill it.

In the winter they will only pick up 5-6 baits a day tops!

Hope this is helpful to you.

Kind Regards

Jay

ps,. Phil keep in touch whilst your away and compare catches m8!

All the Best Guys!

BTW My PB on this lake is 21, however we are hoping for mid to late twenties next week or even a 30, the larger fish are now feeding and the smaller ones seem to have dropped off.

Yep, cracking fish, looked better than 18.5, probably had just spawned and lost a few pound as it was a little saggy, But what a scrap took Phil across the lake almost.

Rain, it was chucking it down, It took you 3 hours to blow dry your hair the next day huh Phil hehehe

Go for my style wash and go lol!

Laters guys!

Jay

• 8 months later...

I have a blog set up which I add to anytime I go fishing or I have something to say. I'm still in search of my first 20lber but i'm sure thats not far away.

Anyway, the reason for this post is that i've added a map of the venue at Wyreside that is taken from the leaflet that I picked up while i was there. This should give you an idea of what the venue is like and what pegs are where.

Hope this helps a few people out.

You can find it here: http://carpjournal.blogspot.com/

cracking journal nutherblank, think i'll keep an eye on that in the months to come to see wats been goin' down. its even better than reading the articles in the monthly carpin' rags.

Thanks. I set it up as a diary type thing really for myself and when I thought about it, other people might benefit from things i've picked up.

Off for a weekend down Moreton-in-the-Marsh this weekend to visit Leamington Lakes. Hopefully i'll catch a few nice fish down there!

• 2 months later...
Hi Phil,

Good luck at Linear, It was a night mare 2 weeks ago, Oxleys being full and St Johns, the only lake that was free had a 2 mile hike from the Car Park.

OK, Fester

Yes Phil is very correct the lake is heavily stocked with good quality fish ranging from 12 - 22lb with lots of mid twenties and the biggest carp being around 35-37ib abound 5-6 of them. Lake is around 4 Acres, with a good head of around 350-400 fish, according to Albury...(Fisheries Manager)

There are a couple of mid 30 Catfish in the lake also (hoping to catch one next week)

The lake and it's settings are very scenic, with various trees which provide great cover and lake layout and design provides very accomodating swims. The new management company have put alot of effort and money into making this a safe and quality fishing environment going to the level of providing Picnis tables and log boundaries around the swims, there are alos toilets and shower facilites (Clean)

The lake itself as Phil explains has many features including gravel bars, overhanging trees and liley pads etc, however at the bottom end pegs can be a little tricky as I feel peg 7 needs taking away to provide better swim coverage.

Mid week fishing is advisable as at the weekends the lake is full and very pressured!

Myself and Phil had a good session recently bagging some very nice fish up to 19lb around 16-18 fish between us If I remember rightly and the smallest being 14lb, however these beautiful Carp fought like complete loonatics, and provided us with some very good entertainment and Adrenalin rushes :)

Myself and Phil, tried a range of baits on this lake with Fusion boilies from Mainline being the most productive. We found that as Phil states, Meaty Boilies work and Pepperami, and maize worked well for Phil on a popup, but unfortunatly not for me.

i have also started using bait from a local supplier and have tried the shellfish 15mm boilies with success.

Bait is always down to the individual and what you feel confident with but from my expearience the following work:

Fusion

NRG

Shellfish

Meaty Crab

Phil had some screammmming runs on these...........Woke you up mate huh hehehe

Make a good Ground Bait up also, I use the following in Korda Boilie netting:

10mm Source Boilies (chopped)

Amino Black Ground Bait

Halibut Pellets various sizes

Fusion Pellet

Frenzied Hemp

Some Maize

Fossoil (Attractant)

Boilie base mix

Tin of Meatly mix (Dynamite)

Give it a good old mix up and make it really oily, even drizzle in a little mollassess.

This works for me, other people may have other potions :)

Remember Its now Autumn/Winter they will be on the last feeding frenzie and then they will drop off suddenly, so Don't hammer the bait out there you will kill it.

In the winter they will only pick up 5-6 baits a day tops!

Hope this is helpful to you.

Kind Regards

Jay

ps,. Phil keep in touch whilst your away and compare catches m8!

All the Best Guys!

BTW My PB on this lake is 21, however we are hoping for mid to late twenties next week or even a 30, the larger fish are now feeding and the smaller ones seem to have dropped off.

hi phil i fish there regually too, do you use there own baits because i always have and done ok, or do u find mainline baits work better??

thnxs josh

• 2 years later...
Wyreside fisheries st michaels

be careful i have been 3 times and 3 times thay have double booked my swim as a result ended up fishing in a rubbish swim miles away from my mate.when we went to complain they just said it has never happened before

This I have heard has happened a few times, saying that had a great time on my first visit 5 carp 2x 18lb, lost x3 line cut on lillys in 48hrs

• 8 months later...