leadcore leader

bully32

Needle knot for mainline connection. Leave long tag end in mainline (shorter tag end will be stiffer and can trap components). Only ever use in a rotary set up. No need for a top bead (fix ring desired length from lead with PVA tape for the cast).

No leader should ever be used with a leadclip, inline, or running set-up. I.E. no leader should ever be used whereby the hooklink is attached directly to the leader via a knot. In the event of a breakage (of mainline or leader) the hooklink should be able to pass off completly.

Also, prior to tying a leadcore leader it should be pre-stretched. This lowers the diameter of the leadcore making in less obtrusive, and easier for the hooklink to pass over it. Also, once leader is stretched, hold it underwater and sqeeze between your fingers to remove any air from within the fibres.

I've seen leadcore condemed all too often. Carp safety is a matter of opinion and of fishing style. Snag fishing with leadcore if often condemed. I often use leadcore leaders when snag fishing. The train of thought being a landed fish is safer than a lost one. I've fished a lot of waters with highly abrasive snags and leadcore results in more fish on the bank. Simples.

I also set up the lead with either a "choppa droppa" style set up, whereby the lead is lost on the take, or a "rotten bottom" wherbey the lead is lost if snagged (which depends on the amount of weed / snags in the vicinity of the swim). This means there is less for the rig to snag up on, and generally means the carp surfaces early on in the fight, thus lessening the chances of loss to snagging / weed.

I will use leadcore with a drop off inline set-up when PVA bag (solid) fishing, but then i only use approx 6" of leadcore, for quick attachement purposes.

The common argument that leadcore can kink and thus mean components cannot pass over it is rediculous. Any amount of tension on said kinked leadcore would instantly straighten it back out again. I don't buy into this!

Leadcore is far from being the be all and end all. But it does have it place. As does everything.

Do the experiment yourself, it DOES NOT straighten itself out under tension, the twist pulls tight and stays in the leadcore!

Sorry I have actually taken the trouble to get into the water and test it.

Leadcore is horrible stuff for fishing, and in many cases it is used "so that fish are landed". At times being fished in situations where fishing should not be undertaken because it is so snaggy. :roll::evil:

The majority of excuses for the use of leadcore are simply down to people who HAVEN'T actually done the tests. What is published in magazines is not always the truth as the editors or whatever simply follow fashion. I have had long debates with magazine editors over it, from where I DID do tests and experiments to prove or disprove its safety.

Beanz' comments about it rubbing along the flanks are slightly off the mark as well. Yes, fish damage themselves, particularly, or especially at spawning, but that is a natural phenomenon, NOT one we create. Leadcore can create a burn along the skin, but that burn is not always apparent at the time of the capture. A couple of hours or days later it can start to show up, the same as a burn in humans which may blister or scar but not be immediately apparent.

Now lets get back to the "losing the lead on a take". You do NOT want that to happen with a heli set-up, as you would want the weight to "hold" so that the rig can be ejected, otherwise the beads etc will not be able to pull off the leadcore until the leadcore is back under tension.