willows lakes hertfordshire

I just got back from a 10 hour stint at willows lakes,and totally blanked :shock:

I had heard this was a rare thing to do but seeing as i nearly got frostbite,i can understand why the fish were reluctant to feed.

Just as my friend and i were packing up after loosing the feeling in various bodyparts due to the wind chill,i was looking at the water,nothing with each bit of kit i put away :cry:

No sooner had i packed my rods(always the last thing,just incase) :wink: than a decent looking carp poked his head out of the water literally 5 feet from where i was standing...i could have cried but my frozen tear-ducts wouldn't let me :lol::cry::roll:

Oh well fish 1-me 0...the return match will be soon :lol:

hello mate,i too have just moved into the area(potters bar).

it was my first time fishing there,found the bailiffs very helpful and friendly and the venue to be very good,i was on the match lake near to the toilets but after speaking to a few people on there it seems that the best places are on the right side and at the other end :roll: I will be going back as a day ticket water i like the size so don't think i will be too confined by other lines in the water.

I am thinking of joining the verulam club as they have some excellent waters too.

where else have you fished?

Hello mate, like you say, Ive seen quite alot of anglers on the right side of the match lake so Im sure this would be a good place to start. They all seem to be casting out ... say a third of the width of the lake. I guess this would be a drop off point or something .... but I cant be sure as I dont know the lake bed. Although in some places I have noticed its vv shallow.

Im seriously considering buying a season ticket. For the size of it and a season ticket at £110 it seems very good value. Its very local to me and also meant to be stuffed with carp.

Like you I spoke to the ballif and he said there's some excellent sport in the summer with floaters etc.

My most favourite venue is Rib Valley, Ive fished it for years (especially with the fly) its just a place Im used to and visit very regularly. I also fish the River Lea at Carthagenea fishery and some others but am thinking of adding a few other venues to the list. Ive only been carp fishing for a while but its become a real passion. I love to fish you cant beat it.

Thanks for the info. Very best wishes.

thats true i did see that when that happenend last year but when i was there last the baliff told me most of the bigger ones where in the farm lake because he was trying to make that into a proper carp lake and make the match lake a match lake but i take my kids down quite alot and when the water leavel is up i try and fish to the island on the match lake to the left when you come through the gates and all i use is a pva mash bag with a couple of small pellets and choped up bollies with a quick link rig on so i can thred it through the middle of the bag with just a 14mm boillie toped with a bit of fake corn and you can bag up all day lone there. ok there not big fish but they fight well and put a good bend in the rods

What's the bottom like Rob? It look a gravelly colour for me when I fished it for pike? Your camo rig set up mate....? Would it mainly consist of gravelly coloured leads etc, gravelly coloured hook links etc etc etc?

How far would you cast out from the position you are fishing. A bit of help would be v helpful.

Thanks in advance.

i was on the left as you go in on the match lake casting out to the island rob..blanked all day..but it was bloody cold :wink:

think i will try the other end next time i go,up where the match lake joins the farm lake,i have heard it can be good up there.

was using scopex boilies then switched to pellets...the only thing eating my pellets were the bloody seagulls :lol:

i have also been told that on the right just before the pilons is a good spot on match lake as apparantly that is where they stock the lake from.

fitzy...the whole place is a gravel pit so "gravely" leads etc would be best camoflage.

personally if there are no features to fish to i tend to cast one rod out about a third of the way out and one about half way..but if there is someone opposite me then one a third of the way out and one about a rod length from the tip of my other rod.

i always catch on maple or fushion boillies with a bit of fake corn

Nice and easy then.

I really rate fake corn (not an expert mind you). For one you know the hook bait is always on.

Second, fake corn is v visible.

Third, it balances lovely with the new rigs Ive been trying to tie. :oops:

Ive been using one sinking and one pop up. Does the trick in my book. I cant wait to try the new Enterprise dips when they come out. A friend of mine managed to get some samples a few months ago and left all his fake corn in them over the winter. Im fishing with him tomorrow Im dying to find out if this makes a difference. I heard it does.

that's old news...it was all sorted ages ago and was mainly with the old owners from what i know,it changed owners a couple of years ago and is very well run and looked after now.

Old news maybe but as far as I am am aware, as of last spring the EA had not still given it a clean bill of health. Who knows if they ever can or will?

And it still suffers from far more fish deaths each spring than it should no matter what you get told. I have witnessed it and the clear up jobs that go on.

The owners have not changed no matter what you hear. The bailiffs are newish and their hearts are in the right place and are trying their best with things that are in their control IE. litter, thefts ECT. And things have got a lot better on them fronts, without a doubt.

The problem being stocking is not in their control no matter what you get told. It is still down to the same fella who has been stocking it for years and brought SVC to bowmans and the rest of the valley. Mention this blokes name to any clubs round the area and see the reaction you will get.

I am not saying don't fish there but do make sure all tackle is completely dry before moving onto another venue. Even better have separate nets, mats ECT. For fishing there.

Better to be safe than sorry.