Sick to death of tangles

fishfishfish

I;ve searched the forum low and high and have not as yet found the answer to my problem

TANGLES

godamn they annoy me

I fish relatively easy waters generally and don't tend to cast more than 30 yards; i mainly fish the river weaver in the margins.

I have tried the following so far and all of them have tangled more often than i would like; any help or advice would be appreciated.

I always use braided hooklengths of 10lb an mainline of maxima 12lb.

I used to use a straight bolt rig with no anti tangle tubing, a swivel then 7-9 inches of braid: that used to tangle

I switched to using a pre made anti tangle rig which consists of 24inches of anti tangle tubing, a quick release lead clip, a swivel; then my 8inch of braid connect to taht by a clip on swivel; again the hooklength always seems to tangle round the lead.

I then modified the above set up by pushing a new length of anti tangle tubing from the braid over the swivels etc so that the lead had about 24inches of tubing one side, and then 3 inches of tubing the other, fllowed by my braid; again tangles

2 questions really

1 Is it the fact im using soft braid that is causing so many tangles, should i be using a different type of hooklength?? (i still ctach alot of fish despite tangles!!)

2. would using a PVA bag with some bait etc and my hookolength in stop these tangles; i dont mind the cost for the peace of mind (plus it would probably save money on wasted bait!!)

any help or advice will be appreciated; i cant stand fishing for 4 hours, reeling , only to find my bolie 1/2" form my lead !!

[swearing removed from Post]

Hi Mate,

I use Braid mostly myself and don't have Many Tangles.

Some Tangles can actually happen on Picking up the Rig from the Bottom of the Lake/River. As the Lead is cast it sits on the bottom, but in the middle of your rig. As a fish takes it gets straightened out, but If you don't get a take and you reel in the Lead snags up on the Hooklink and you APPEAR to have a tangle as you reel in. This sounds like the Tangles you are describing.

To Help Reduce other tangles:

If you use Tubing have it about 10cms longer than your Hooklink.

Pva Bags and Stringers do help reduce Tangles on casting.

Try using In-Line Leads, they help avoid Tangles around the Lead.

Another tip If you push about 3cms of Silicon Tubing over the Braid to swivel knot it pushes the Braid away from the Lead and helps avoid Tangles. It doesn't make the rig any less effective.

Hi Mate,

I use Braid mostly myself and don't have Many Tangles.

Some Tangles can actually happen on Picking up the Rig from the Bottom of the Lake/River. As the Lead is cast it sits on the bottom, but in the middle of your rig. As a fish takes it gets straightened out, but If you don't get a take and you reel in the Lead snags up on the Hooklink and you APPEAR to have a tangle as you reel in. This sounds like the Tangles you are describing.

To Help Reduce other tangles:

If you use Tubing have it about 10cms longer than your Hooklink.

Pva Bags and Stringers do help reduce Tangles on casting.

Try using In-Line Leads, they help avoid Tangles around the Lead.

Another tip If you push about 3cms of Silicon Tubing over the Braid to swivel knot it pushes the Braid away from the Lead and helps avoid Tangles. It doesn't make the rig any less effective.

Very sound advice the only thing I'd add is to try feathering your cast. Using this ensures the feathered rig lies in a half decent way, where as the unfeathered rig tends to land in a big mess, with the bait half buried and the lead stuck in the lake bed.The rig lies flat and furthest away from the lead rather than in a big ugly heap of braid and lead and tubing or whatever.

Pva presentation (also found in packing) foam will stop tangles, only problem with using it with braid is that the bait will drop right on the lead after the foam has melted, so a coated braid hooklink is better as the bait is kicked away from the lead after melting.

I was looing at the technique of using a pva stuffed with pellets and broken bollies with the hooklink packed in there (hooked in the bottom of the bag) so once it lands, sinks and dissolves the hooklink is untangled and laid in the loose feed bait.

Some online guides suggest putting the lead in the bag, some leave it outside.

I was going to use a hooklink of about 9 inches: with 6 inches of link from hook in the bag along with the bait etc.

Once cast the lead and bag would (hopefully) land seperately (especiually if i feather), once in has all sunk a brief wind in should straighten the terminal out leaving a gap between the lead and the bag.

Once the bag dissoves there would be a pile of bait with my braid (untangled) burried in it.

My worry with putting the lead in the bag is that the line and bait and lead would be in a big pile on the lake bed and nbot be as neat.

As ive said i dont cast very far so aero dynamics are not generally a problem for me

Any shared experiences or new ideas would be very welcome

Thanks for all your help!

I have been known to Fish Stringers with maybe a Few boilies as freebies and then with Dog Biscuits on the Far end, this holds the Rig up and then allows it to sink down slowly.

This method can be used with Bags as well

As Neil said, Feathering the Cast, something I didn't think of or put. :? Feathering the cast as it lands kicks the hooklink forward and avoids Tangles.

You could always try a Combi Rig, use Amnesia as a Stiff Section near the Swivel, then using the Shockleader Knot attach a length of Braid to the Hook.

Or what about Coated Braid, strip it back about halfway between Hook and swivel.

Either way you then have a length of supple braid near the hook and a stiff section near the swivel.

good idea's

ive bought some pva bags with draw cords ready attached (long thin ones)

The plan is to hook my hook through the bottom of the bag, stuff it full of bait , pull the draw cord tight and tie the drawcord aound the lead clip (so that the hook length is laid out inside the bag and the lead outside the bag, hopefully meaning the line wont be in a 'pile' on the bed)

I'll let you know how i get on

good idea's

ive bought some pva bags with draw cords ready attached (long thin ones)

The plan is to hook my hook through the bottom of the bag, stuff it full of bait , pull the draw cord tight and tie the drawcord aound the lead clip (so that the hook length is laid out inside the bag and the lead outside the bag, hopefully meaning the line wont be in a 'pile' on the bed)

I'll let you know how i get on

i think your better off droping your leadclip inside the bag.