Tubing and running rigs

neontrifle

I am going to start fishing a lake were no leadcore leaders ect.. are allowed and you must use tubing of at least 18 inches to protect the carps flanks.

I normally use running rigs and was thinking that if the carp swam towards the angler wouldnt the tubing cause a lot of resistance, or at least more than just using Mono main line, because the tubing would have to bend at an angle.

I am thinking of using the Rig Marole micro freefall tubing

Any thoughts on this?

Also is there much evidence that mono lifts scales carp when not tubed?

There is very little chance of mainline removing or pinging a scale, although there is always that miniscule chance, usually with scaly mirrors, but not usually commons. We floater fish with no tubing, and I have not had it happen myself that I can remember. Also a scale will grow back over time.

As for Tubing on Running leads, I think it does create a bit more resistance, so I use the softest most supple tubing I can get (Solar) and not a thick tubing that will definitely cause additional problems, also a Run Ring with a large a diameter as possible.

With the heavy wire weighted or lined tubing I would think that it is likely not to be as supple as the plastic only tubing available. Using a heavy tubing may mean that you have to use a larger weight so it stays still on the take.

I don't know who dreamt up the "lifting scales" story, but it's something I've never ever come across in many years of fishing. I suspect it was probably someone with an interest in selling a bit more tubing.

Surely, by the time the fish has picked up the bait and moved back towards the lead it will have realised something is up anyway, so I personally wouldn't get excited about the effect of the tubing.

[That said, I hate tubing and never use it - but not for the reason you've raised]

I don't know who dreamt up the "lifting scales" story, but it's something I've never ever come across in many years of fishing. I suspect it was probably someone with an interest in selling a bit more tubing.

Surely, by the time the fish has picked up the bait and moved back towards the lead it will have realised something is up anyway, so I personally wouldn't get excited about the effect of the tubing.

[That said, I hate tubing and never use it - but not for the reason you've raised]

You reckon it effects catch rates?

I'm sure that sometimes it does make the rig stand out more, but I think that it doesn't "telegraph" like a tight mono can (vibration).

Thanks for insights.

I don't like tubing and prefer mono straight through to hook length swivel with a running rig, as long as there are no bars ect..., I too see no problem with scales being lifted I think its more important not to use these really thin braids for hooklengths that can cause a terrible mess to carps mouth and sides of head.Can't argue with the baliff though :cry:

Alright Nick. Do I think it affects catch-rates........I couldn't say for sure, but I don't think it helps put extra fish on the bank. I'm not one of these "camo everything up" folk - with respect to the end tackle, but I do think the way tubing can sit doesn't help. And I don't mean that it's sticking upright - just the way it lies over any debris on the bottom, or an uneven bottom etc. could work against you. Similarly in clear water it can stand out like a sore thumb - again, I don't think that helps.

Alright Nick. Do I think it affects catch-rates........I couldn't say for sure, but I don't think it helps put extra fish on the bank. I'm not one of these "camo everything up" folk - with respect to the end tackle, but I do think the way tubing can sit doesn't help. And I don't mean that it's sticking upright - just the way it lies over any debris on the bottom, or an uneven bottom etc. could work against you. Similarly in clear water it can stand out like a sore thumb - again, I don't think that helps.

Dan,

You know the reason I asked :lol:

you've seen my set-ups and I feel comfortable using it, however I may well have been fishing in "dirtier" areas of the lake with more rubbish and debris on the bottom, although a few baits have been dropped on gravel features. I wonder if different tubing has different effects, and different smells.

I have noticed that when I have used Armourtube on BP that I do get fewer runs, and that is gloss finished.

The Solar tubing I use has a "silky", slightly textured feel, as opposed to a totally smooth feel. I wonder if this slight texture allows silt and other debris to settle on it, as opposed to the totally smooth finish (If you have problems seeing or imagining what I mean I mentioned the effect in Leads, Shapes and colours thread:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22174 ).

I also think that some tubing that we use, the plastic absolutely stinks, and that is definitely off putting to my nose, so I wonder if it does the same to carp?

I seem to remember Jim Gibbinson commenting on this, and he would take his tubing out of the packaging and leave it for a few weeks before he used it. I take the tubing out of the Solar package (Running Rigs) and put it into a different bag mini bag as I keep all my tubing together.

I also have a feeling that it takes out or reduces the vibration of the mainline if fished tight (telegraph/power line effect).

I use tubing for the simple reason of using it to protect the mainline and reduce the effects of snag rubbing against mainline. I have landed a couple of fish on waters where the tubing has been rubbed and scraped over gravel, or snags and the tubing has actually been scratched and abraded, yet it has protected the mainline from being rubbed through. That is actually something that I DON'T think that leadcore does, I think that the braided outer of leadcore is more likely to snap and give than tubing, which because of its softness and smoothness (comparitive) doesn't bite into the snag or gravel.

One thing I will say, I am confident in Tangle free rigs, my rig placement and with how I fish with tubing, so that in itself may be extra fish anyway