SMALLFORD gravel pit,St.Albans

I went to look round this place a couple of days ago,very impressed with it and it's immaculate,good swims etc.

I got talking to one of the only 3 guys fishing there and didn't want to disturb him to much,but from what he said it's known to be a hard water to fish but has some lovely lumps in there.

Has anyone here fished it,it's members only and i'm going to join soon.

Not fished myself for a good few years, but do know a few lads who have fished it recently. Great looking water with lots of features and a decent stock of carp to high 20's may be a 30 at the right time of year. It can get very busy in the summer months.

As for it bring a hard water, let's just say it's not a runs water by any means but it's not exactly rock hard either like a certain other lake on the verulum ticket.

• 1 month later...

I'd be surprised - like most of the lakes in the area, I'd imagine it's been frozen recently! :lol:

I heard a few carp were caught before the freeze though. It's not a lake that interested me personally, but I could point you in the direction of the fishery manager if you were genuinely interested and wanted some more info.

Forgot to add in my previous post, there is also one, possibly two cats in there around mid 20's. :wink:

In Smallford? Really? I didn't know that!

If you ask anyone in the club offically they will tell you that there's not any cats in there but it is the worst kept secret in the angling world of St. Albans that there is one or two in there.

A committee member (no names) has even showed me the pics of one.

Where would you recommend in Herts, I am in Welwyn Garden and looking for something relatively close and preferably a members lake? I have not fished for a few years and want to get back into it. I have fished the usual - Holwell Hyde and Court, Stanborough, Bayford. Will likely only be once or twice a month so not going to be pre-baiting or any of the sorts.

Any reason for not looking at Smallford?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Where would you recommend in Herts, I am in Welwyn Garden and looking for something relatively close and preferably a members lake? I have not fished for a few years and want to get back into it. I have fished the usual - Holwell Hyde and Court, Stanborough, Bayford. Will likely only be once or twice a month so not going to be pre-baiting or any of the sorts.

Any reason for not looking at Smallford?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Verulum should fit the bill nicely for you mate. Another water on their ticket thats sounds like it could be right up yur street is The Island lake at Moor Mill.

Verulam have some decent venues on their ticket - something for everyone including some reasonable carp waters. Smallford and the Moor Mill complex are the main ones for the carp anglers - although you also get a Turnford Consortium ticket included in the season ticket price.

I've only fished one of their waters, but a brief low-down on the carp waters that might interest you:

Smallford. Not sure that it's "hard" - although some anglers do make it see that way. Can be very popular in the warmer weather. Believe the stock is predominantly doubles, a reasonable head of 20's, with maybe one or two 30's?

Island Pit, Moor Mill. Another nice looking lake - not seen anything quite like it before, with all the islands. Plenty of room for everyone on there. Carp mainly high-singles/doubles. A few 20's to go at and always the possibility of a surprise. Not aware of it having been seriously targetted by any of the carpers so not sure anyone really knows exactly what's in there.

School Pit, Moor Mill. Very shallow, with lots of pads. Holds a few carp that are rarely fished for, so definitely catchable. Think they're around the high-double/low 20 mark.