New Mexico Carp fishing, Am I the only one?

desertrat

• 3 weeks later...
desertrat,

What part of New Mexico do you live in? I fish in southern New Mexico often and may be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Eddie

Hi, I live in Albuquerque and mostly fish the Rio Grande and its ditches for carp.

misc030.jpg

Heres one I caught a couple of weeks ago. I look forward to hearing from you.

all the best Terence

Nice,

The biggest for me in New Mexico and current PB is a 33.14 from Las Cruces. As soon sa I can figer out how to post a pic I will do so.

I am planning on going up to Caballo dam this weekend, maybe hitting a large hole about 4 miles below called Jones Hole. Said to hold monster cats so should hold some nice carp. If you would like to see some of the fish that we have caught go to www.tresfloresbait.com

Eddie

[/img]

Nice,

The biggest for me in New Mexico and current PB is a 33.14 from Las Cruces. As soon sa I can figer out how to post a pic I will do so.

I am planning on going up to Caballo dam this weekend, maybe hitting a large hole about 4 miles below called Jones Hole. Said to hold monster cats so should hold some nice carp. If you would like to see some of the fish that we have caught go to www.tresfloresbait.com

Eddie

[/img]

Thanks for the reply, very good website btw. I have caught bigger than the fish in the pic, the biggest was over 20lb but without scales I dont know for sure. The best spot I have right now is a dam on the river at Algodones that holds some big carp, could be a 30lb fish there for sure.

I am just getting going again I fished carp in the UK before I moved here but I am starting from scratch right now. I hope to have better tackle by next year and will be trying some other waters come the spring.

I have been fishing sweetcorn mainly but end up catching a lot of cats and suckers besides the carp I want. I think next season boilies may be the way to go a larger more carp specific bait will hopefully get better results and aviod other fish.

Good to know there are some serious carp fishers in NM, where abouts are you maybe we can meet up next season.

all the best Terence

• 5 weeks later...

Just joined the forum, live in Rio Rancho NM.

I've fished for carp in the drains in Corrales over off of East Meadow Lark rd. Wondering where the best places to fish for carp are in the state and close to ABQ. Caught some lunkers in the drain. I'm in the process in saving up $ for a 8wt fly rod so I can throw the long stick at em, but real unsure what to use and how to do it. Anyone ever fly fish for carp on the fly? Below is a good one I got on a pistol pete just around dusk. Took me about 5 minutes to bring this baby in an a spin reel using 6lbs line.

DSC05264.jpg

• 9 months later...
Nice,

Eddie

[/img]

Thanks for the reply, very good website btw. I have caught bigger than the fish in the pic, the biggest was over 20lb but without scales I dont know for sure. The best spot I have right now is a dam on the river at Algodones that holds some big carp, could be a 30lb fish there for sure.

I am just getting going again I fished carp in the UK before I moved here but I am starting from scratch right now. I hope to have better tackle by next year and will be trying some other waters come the spring.

I have been fishing sweetcorn mainly but end up catching a lot of cats and suckers besides the carp I want. I think next season boilies may be the way to go a larger more carp specific bait will hopefully get better results and aviod other fish.

Good to know there are some serious carp fishers in NM, where abouts are you maybe we can meet up next season.

all the best Terence

i think next season one of these could be the way to go for you fella http://shop.carp.com/fox-elite-unhooking-mat :wink:

• 6 years later...

Hi there, and welcome to the forums.

What have you tried?

When you say ditches, how wide and long are they and how are they fed (where does the water come from and where does it go)?

I haven't fished over there (New Mexico?) but if you can describe the ditches in a bit more detail (pictures would help as well) then maybe the forum members can help you get a plan together.

• 3 years later...