Helicopter rigs with tubing

daleg2008

Hi guy's i want to use a helicopter lead arrangement, but not on leadcore. i have became a massive tubing freak either running rig or lead clip style. my favourite are esp anchor and rig marole. it would be nice if i could make a helicopter rig on them. if someone knows a ready made kit available with very heavy tubing then ill look into that, if not any beads specially designed for tubing work? at the moment im wondering how you attach the beads on the tubing? also is it ok to tie the lead straight to the mainline? anyone who has had experience with heli rigs and tubing would be helping loads, as i dont want to use leadcore or those korda safezone things. thanks dale

Its something i havnt used but the way i see it is...

If your line breaks, there is nothing holding the tubing to the lead unlike other set ups, so the tubing will simple slide of the line, then there will be no tension and the rig wouldnt be able to be pulled off the tubing, leaving rig and tube attached to the fish, it might be the safest rig, it might just be the way im looking at the situation :oops::?

I have noticed that Fox do a tubing heli pack though.

Im going to have to go and have a play me thinks :D

Hi Dale,

How about setting up your own heli rig? With two or three different Diameters of tubing? The first a silicone tube that fits onto the lead swivel, then pushed inside that the "heli rig" on a smaller Dia tube with the two beads and ring swivel, and then your anti tangle tube inserted into the heli tube, this way in any event the rig will come apart rendering it safe! Alternatively, why use tubing at all? This is still effective for braid hooklinks, or use a mono or fluro hooklink as the rig was designed for, for long range casting with no tangles, hence the "heli rig" as it will revolve around the main line keeping the rig and bait away from tangles :idea:

Mainline isn't as rigid as tubing or a leader, so it could get damaged or kinked easier leading it to curl up and prevent the beads from parting the line. this is bearing in mind that the breakage is above the top bead. see what i mean? or have i got the wrong end of the stick of how to set it up on the mainline?

why, because side hooking it would leave it tight on the mainline which is not ideal at all. the carp would be left towing the lead and the mainline if the breakage was above the top bead. no way would a side hooked bead move espescially on the mainline. I do sometimes wonder about about a leader, as if it works properly then its the safer option. even if a running rig snapped a few foot up the mainline minus the lead could still ball up and tether just as bad. i might have a play with some leaders and some large beads before deciding mainline straight through.

:shock: What diam mainline do you use :shock: ????? A side threaded rubber bead will slide very easy on mainline! But will be tight enough to hold the rig in place on the cast :wink:
The whole point of side hooking a bead is that it grips whatever its side hooked on. there is no set diameter like on the normal holes, whatever diameter you pierce through rubber it will grip and not move freely. thats why side piercing beads on any leader is a big no no! but maybe your moving freely is different to mine. i used to set my leader beads that light that you could sneeze and they would come off. i use to replace all the leadcore beads that came with it with 6mm or 8mm beads that looked huge, but passed any small loop and kneedle knot in a breeze. the question is how many people bother? i feel sorry for the day ticket water carp :cry: