Chod rig???

kirk32

It is not particularly suitable for use in weedy waters. You are creating an angle across the lead/line as you are playing a fish. You risk more fish snagging up/snap off using the Helicopter set-ups in weed.

Far better to use an IN-LINE set-up, as the Lead does not get snagged up in weed. Weed just slides over the Lead. Even a Pendant set-up with a Safety Clip can cause problems in weedy waters.

It is not particularly suitable for use in weedy waters. You are creating an angle across the lead/line as you are playing a fish. You risk more fish snagging up/snap off using the Helicopter set-ups in weed.

Far better to use an IN-LINE set-up, as the Lead does not get snagged up in weed. Weed just slides over the Lead. Even a Pendant set-up with a Safety Clip can cause problems in weedy waters.

I disagree, i use a helicoptor a fair amount and the water i fish is weedy as heck. Infact i would actually advise against using an inline lead in weed.

Once the line is tight the lead is in direct contact and acts just as if it was on the mainline..... Even the standard Chod set up the lower bead slides down to the lead and all is direct, not often is the line coming off at an angle and the plus to the helicoptor is that when the fish pick ups the bait in the weed there is little resistance meaning better indication. if your fishing inline or clip the rig has a resistance to the weed so indication is reduced as the fish have to pull your rig out of the weed often meaning that the line gets pulled through the weed creating an angle between the fish and the rod tip as the line goes round the weed, this can also cause line to fray if its rubbed against the shell and what not in the weed and also weed can damage line.

the helicoptor/chod means the line and rig comes up over the weed leaving just the lead which as you tighten down actually lifts out of the weed and the line is then mid water and clear of any weed.

Not sure about that Coops.

I have used In-lines a Lot in weed and had no problems. Maybe it's the way I use them in PVA bags. I put the hook and Bait in one corner and the Lead in the other, then fill bag with bait and close the top of the Bag around the Tubing. The Braided Rig is close to the Lead so I get quick indication. Even with stringers I had no problems, again maybe down to my way of attaching stringers. PVA tied/looped through the Swivel and hook. I.e Double your PVA and loop it through swivel, then back through loop. Attach bait to stringer then put hook through the PVA itself.

I used In-lines at SWP and had no problems with Weed getting stuck on the Lead as I reeled in. Pendant Leads and Lead Clips I have found to jam up, even if fished properly as stated on Manufacturers packing, with the rubber only just holding the Lead on. I have even resorted to tying the Lead on in weed and had no Problems.

I have lost fish with Helicopter set-ups, where the angle of Line on rig swivel has chafed across the tubing. Also I found Bite Indication far reduced with Helicopter set-ups, maybe it is down to Pressured Fish feeling for the Lead? I also found that in weed the Helicopter set up with the Lead trailing the Fish kept the fish lower in the water than an "Normal" up the line Lead Attachment.

Mind you for the past few year I have been using Running Leads in Weed or near snags and can't remember the last time I lost a fish. A big Solar Run Ring doesn't get jammed up with Weed and The Ressie is very weedy in places.

Think we'll get different answers on this, probably down to the way each of us fishes and has found to work for them;) :D :D

I use inlines too in weed but as you say in a bag. The majority of my fishing waswit hhelicoptors in the weed and i found the fish came up in the water fairly rapid for reason stated above. on one occassion i wish the fish stayed low as there are plenty of snaggs up in the water with over hangs etc.

Maybe its my way of setting up the helicoptor as i dont use tube or any fixed attachment for the hooklink. jsu ta buffer and an rubber bead then the link then another bead through the side to hold on. This seems great for weed. The top bead just set up the line and the bottom follows the hooklink so it all sits on top of the weed (just 4-6 inchs with the lead in the weed) once you get a pick up the hooklink slides back down to the lead thus lifting it clear but also givign a little time for the rest of the line (the bow) to become taught and so mid water.

I try not to use clips in weed as i too blieve they dont work efficiently. But for a standard baited rig for me i will pick a helicoptor over any other in weed base on this years results over other rigs. The inline in a bag is not the same as an inline with a bait alone as the added area over pressure withthe bag is eonough to rest high in the weed, esspecially so if like me you use solid bags and dont *************** to let out the air and so sink slow under the weight of the lead untill the bag starts to break and then decent a little faster but still sit on top od the weed when you want it to.

The bit about pressure of the lead i do agree with but with the set up i use there is a small amount of play albeit only a couple inches (back bead being set back so hooklink has added movement)

I suppose it is dependant upon the actual set up and weed density but i dont use the standard fixed helicoptor for the reason you say. For a pendant style i prefer the running lead regardless. The helicpotor the way i fish it is benefiting from the same principles as the paternoster rig, just sliding to be in contact and not have trailing line like the paternoster, also have the casting anti tangle properties of the helicoptor due to the set up. Its versitle which is what my fishing requires. i think thats why it was more sucessfull than the other rigs i used through the year.