Swivel attachment

bombjack

Hi mate :)

Some of the benefits:

More movement in the hook link so that the rig can sit flatter (settle if you will) easier on the lake bed.

You can take the rig off the clip, thread on a pva stick and put it back on the clip

If you damage a rig its quick and easy to replace with a rig you have pre tied.

If you cast to a different area and need a slightly different rig that is more suited for where you are fishing.

Cons:

More for the fish to see in some scenarios

Cant think of any more cons :)

Pardon me for being a thicko, but i have been out of the game for approx 12 years. I've noticed rigs on here, and other sites, and the swivel is attached onto a loop, rather than just tied direct.

What are the benefits of this, and what type of knot do you use ?

Tia

To me it depends on the hooklink material.

I attach all my rigs to the hooklink swivel, don't like Quicklinks of any sort as I feel that it is another pivot point that may or may not be used for the rig to be ejected. I know the thinking is old fashioned, but I don't want anything that can be used to slow down the feel of hitting the lead, that additional link may allow it.

When it comes to Fluorocarbon or mono and combi hooklinks I tie the line to the hooklink swivel with a loop knot. This is the one that is shown in Kryston packaging. The best way I can describe it is tie an overhand knot in the hooklink material, but don't pull tight, put swivel on the end, then go through the overhand loop with tag end, go round the line 4 times, and then back through loop, wet and pull both pieces tight. You then have a formed loop. I feel that it gives a little extra "arc" movement that may allow the Carp to move without feeling for the Lead or any resistance

For braided hooklinks I just use a straight Uni knot to attach the hooklink material to the swivel. Not much need to feel for the "Lead resistance" as the braid is not going to be tight, and the Carp doesn't know when the resistance is going to pull in.

Mind you, I do tend to use Running Leads on most occasions, so there is not much chance of the Carp feeling the Lead, but because I use tubing there will be some resistance.

[edited for typo]

Pardon me for being a thicko, but i have been out of the game for approx 12 years. I've noticed rigs on here, and other sites, and the swivel is attached onto a loop, rather than just tied direct.

What are the benefits of this, and what type of knot do you use ?

Tia

To me it depends on the hooklink material.

I attach all my rigs to the hooklink swivel, don't like Quicklinks of any sort as I feel that it is another pivot point that may or may not be used for the rig to be ejected. I know the thinking is old fashioned, but I don't want anything that can be used to slow down the feel of hitting the lead, that additional link may allow it.

When it comes to Fluorocarbon or mono and combi hooklinks I tie the line to the hooklink swivel with a loop knot. This is the one that is shown in Kryston packaging. The best way I can describe it is tie an overhand knot in the hooklink material, but don't pull tight, put swivel on the end, then go through the overhand loop with tag end, go round the line 4 times, and then back through loop, wet and pull both pieces tight. You then have a formed loop. I feel that it gives a little extra "arc" movement that may allow the Carp to move without feeling for the Lead or any resistance

For braided hooklinks I just use a straight Uni knot to attach the hooklink material to the swivel. Not much need to feel for the "Lead resistance" as the braid is not going to be tight, and the Carp doesn't know when the resistance is going to pull in.

Mind you, I do tend to use Running Leads on most occasions, so there is not much chance of the Carp feeling the Lead, but because I use tubing there will be some resistance

Is that the Rapala knot than Ken T recomends ? :?

Depends on what I want hair wise.

I've switched off from using the knotless knot at the moment as I found I lost a couple of fish due I think to the hook not turning in aggresively enough. I went back to Line aligners, and the hook tied on with a Uni knot with a hair made from 4lb Mono tied to the eys. Covered over with Shrink tubing.

I always use a separate hair (or D-rig) with fluoros and monos as I don't like a stiff hair on a line that thick and definitely lost a fish with a Mono hooklink where I had been too lazy to tie a D-rig

I don't use the knot less knot either anymore (haven't for about a year), i dont know what you call the knot (Dont think its the uni like you use , i use the uni for tying on pop-ups or line markers).

For the knot i use i make a loop parallel with the hook shank, thread teh line through, then again but overlapping teh first "roll" then another 6 times bellow this sort of "x" then pull the hair and the hooklink end tight, thread the hooklink through the eye and tie a loop for the bait???????????????????? Its a bit like tying a spade end but with out the hook tier?????

Incidentally if anyone is interested in chucking hardbody lures about, that is the knot to use.

It shifts the wiggle/pivot point of the lure from the tow point towards the middle of the lure, meaning lures have more action and can be worked slower.

That single knot tripled my hit rate on perch.

Downside is that heavier lures worked off a downrigger can saw through the knot due to increased water pressure/friction on the line.

Cheers,

Techo