Todber manor big hayes

hi there, i did have a search but couldnt find what i wanted :( !

i am taking a mate here next week, and really want to get him to catch something!

i have fished twice during the winter and had 2 dropped fish :evil: , but that was it and while i was there i was having serious problems with the weed! i asl o dont think i had the right bait, tactics etc- basically i think i am fishing wrongly :oops: !

how should i be fishing it? i was thinking of changing to flourocarbon leaders with with solid bags, or little baits like fake sweetcorn with small hooks and just casting around till i find the fish?

cheers :D !

Red factor tipped with fake corn seems to be a winner down there. A light bed of hemp and corn also helps. Dont over feed your swim as this always seems counter productive on Big Hayes.

Fish mid water between the two Islands if you can as this seems to be the more productive area for the occasional visiter to hook into a fish. Expect high doubles as the norm as opposed to one of the 30lbers they have in they.

Other then that take a decent book to read. Whilst Todber Manor has some good staff who will allways help you and it is good value for money I find Big Hayes a very dull and uninspiering lake. It is your typical hole dug in ground and filled with water and fish. Very exposed and barren as well. Needs another 5 years at least to mature before I fish there again.

i told my mate we should go to wadmill as i have had fish to 15lb from it and about 6 in a day average, but he was having none of it when i told him there was a 34lber in Big hayes :roll: !

i think we might be able to move over there if we arent catching on big hayes!

i fished the big hayes lake for 3 days the other weekend. Most tactics seem to work in there but the most successful i have found is either the red factor tipped with fake corn. Or the red factor tipped with a plum pop up. Between 4 of us we had 26 fish out over 3 days. We were all using different tactics. One of us was fishing over a spodded area of the new cc moore instant spod mix with corn and red factor. And the rest of us were fishing one rod in the margins and one rod with solid pva bags over the weed. And the third rod fishing in a clear spot found with a marker float. Like someoone said earlier try get the middle pegs that are inadvyedo the islands

• 1 month later...

Todber , Big Hayes

Recently fished the big hayes lake on a 24hr session,

The weather conditions were perfect, we arrived at the lake at about 14.00pm a decided to settale in the deep end of the lake close to were you drive in,after playing arond with a marker rod i found that there was a fair bit of weed in the lake and the bottom was quite heavy clay,

i Decided to fish one rod on the far bank margin and the other close to a brick structure in the bay,the rod that i placed in the far bank margin was made up of Sola lead core leader(green) with a Korda lead clip and a hook link of about 5 Inches this was then baited with a 14mm red factor boilie tipped with fake corn , the other rod placed by the brick structure was made up the same way but baited with mainline cell and red factor boilies.

After about 4 hrs i had no bites at all not even any liners, there were fish showing in the area but no bites this continued till dusk, i then decided to move both baits in to area just of the point of the island were the fish were showing, i then fired out about 5 spods over each rod and setteled in for the night. Again no bites or liners for the rest of the session.

i used to be quite confident in my rigs and bait but after a 24hr session on this lake has really done my head in, has anyone got some good info or tips before i book another session on the lake

Please Help

Regards JON :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil: [/b]

• 3 weeks later...

did anyone else on the lake catch i did a session there last week and it was very quiet one bloke had been there for 3 days and only had 4 fish but it has been very hot which dont help things the far end thats by wadmill seems to the most productive .tight lines