Zig Rig hooklength material

ihall

ihall

i don't use flourocarbon for long zig hooklengths (3ft plus).

it snaps easier when 'jerked' about.

combine this with the fact of a lead which may be swinging 8ft from the fish, and it's a potential line breakage.

i use drennan double strength for all my zigs, in the 10lb version for my venue.

i also use 1oz leads, so they don't act like a pendulem when landing the fish. These are inline, so it keeps the centre of gravity on the line, ruducing how easily the lead can swing.

tight lines

courtney

Pre stretched match monos like preston powerline are superb for zigs as the fine diameter means less weight on long links which ultimatly means your zig is fishing the right depth. Fluro is often too heavy and bows under the weight and more so when the pop up takes on water (if you use a pop up that is)

For snag free water and long links i have used fox ultra soft mono (cant remember what its called maybe illusion) and that is very very fine so great for real long links eg 8 foot and over;)

Nice to see a debate on zig rig hooklengths that doesn't degenerate into Name Calling! :D

I must admit that I use the Carp-R-Us Clearwater Fluorocarbon as it has stretch and no memory, although in the past I have used Match Hooklengths. The only reason I changed is because on 1 water I fish the Carp are heavily fished for by Match Anglers with suspended baits, so I looked for something different from what they were doing.