Recently converted........

fumanchu

I fish a lake namely merrington where I've been gettin 3 or 4 runs a session with a small conversion rate to fish on the bank I wanna try and sort this out got a feeling this may work let's see

Something else I am going to try which relates to this (as my run:fish ratio hasn't been great of late either) is a longer hair! I usually tie the hair so the bait is pretty much touching the bend of the hook and after playing about with a few things over the weekend have decided that 10mm seems like a better gap!

Out at weekend for 72 hours so I will see how I get on!

Ill be fishing the following on my rods:

1) Magaligner with no leader and inline bolt rig

2) Bottom boilie, no leader and lead clip bolt rig

3) Bottom boilie, no leader and lighter running lead

Then obviously I will change the rigs around to focus on the ones catching me fish! :D

I realize that I'm stepping into sacred water here. But esp for river fishing simpler is better.

Ask yourself, how much lead do I really need to reach the distance?

In my case, even with running water, 1/2oz is all that is required, I do carry some 5/8's oz sinkers for faster water. 1/2 oz walking sinker on braid with a inexpensive 30$ graphite rod and 15$ reel and my wife can put the sinker on the far bank 3 out of 4 spots we fish. Probably talking 50 - 65 yards.

And that is my wife, a chubby 52 yr old 5'2" tall. And arthritis in her hands to boot. In my case, I can do 75 - 90 yards sitting down, no windup, ease it back and schwingggggggggggggg.

Now with a 12 foot rod, decent line on the reel with a 5/8 oz sinker I bet I could almost double that distance.

Like fumanchu I agree with the slightly longer hair, don't want to get too long or it seems I start seeing missed takes, hook isn't laying right, etc.

And btw that 1/2oz of lead plenty to prick the fish and get him to bolt.

At which point the tight line to my rod finishes the job. Plus it makes much less noise on entry than a big 3 0z rig.

So if your fishing the river, try one rod dead simple. You might be surprised. (drops the hatch to the fallout bunker)

• 3 weeks later...