Semi-fixed or in-line rigs.

stevew1805

This is going to sound strange but, for me, the most effective way to go fishing is to stop reading angling mags and stop watching angling vids. Without the costant plugs for specific rigs you end up thinking for yourself and answering each question as it arises which leads to the best situation possible for your own fishing.

Let's be honest any article or video is only relevant to those particular fish in that particular lake at that particular time in those particular conditions. The rigs etc used won't necessarily work the same the following week if conditions have changed.

Hi Kieth,I started comming onto the forum to see if I could get to know any like minded souls and to see if I could learn a thing or two and perhaps help on or two.

Most anglers you see nowdays or in fact in the past do not think for themselves,they simply do what they have been shown either first or second hand.

A few think for themselves work out how to catch fish,and either first or second hand teach all the others.

Magazines and forums for that matter can help beginers, they also can help thinking anglers in their train of thought.

But in a lot of situations you know they will read and follow like sheep.

For what it's worth, I think this is spot on. I like to think that when I go out I will always be asking myself the question: "Why are you doing that?". In other words I will try and think my way through what I do and, after a time, be able to build up a store of knowledge that I can deploy and hopefully catch regularly.

The other thing I have found is that, as a novice, I did the usual thing in buying books, magazines, DVDs, and joining forums. Very soon I found I had a healthy dose of "information overload". I quickly stopped trying to remember everything, and felt I needed to start simple and slow, and then gradually grow into a thoughtful angler with good water craft skills and a range of fishing options at my disposal.

Some good points in these conjoined quotes.

Now like others I think that you need to get some experience, yes you can get information from reading a magazine, but most of it is product plugging, or placement. I think that maybe a lot of the what we class as "stupid" questions are because there is no magazine that really covers the basics. They do show the most "innovative" up to date super rig, lead set-up or super all singing all dancing supercast rod and reel (with apologies to Daiwa).

As much as you can learn from forums and magazines, the only way to get true experience is on the bank and struggling at times. That struggle normally gives you the will to improve, although in Bart Simpson terms "If you can't do it, then stick in the cupboard with rest of things you can't do" may be apt for many of the people of today, and Instant being the operative word :roll:

Now when it comes to Inline leads I used them for many years, and in some very weedy waters, with no problems. I didn't lose many fish while playing them (what I don't know about is how many I lost due to no indicator movement).

Zipp/Pear style shaped Inlines are reasonably good for casting, although if you really want to go for maximum distance they wobble in flight, which reduces distance, so head to a Pendant or even Helicopter arrangement (there see I said it, use a Rotary set-up :shock::wink::lol: )

With Inlines I do have a worry that in Silty waters they push the hooklink down into the silt, or cause it to curve and stick out and up.

Also on gravel I think that the force of the lead, if not feathered on the cast and felt down, may damage the swivel or the hooklink knot.

Also I have a feeling that Inline Leads may be better for PVA bagging and getting the Lead inside the bag over a Pendant set-up. Sorry lack of experimentation for a while :?:roll::oops: