Mustad long point

richchappy

Could be a number of things causing you to lose fish on Mustad Hooks.

Is your rig long enough?

Is your hair long enough?

If you are losing fish to hookpulls then lengthen either/both of the above. Too short and you may only just be pricking the Fish in the extremities of the lip.

Are you using the right Hooklength material for the pattern of the hook? I work on the theory that inturned eyes are best with braids, straight eyes work with Fluoro/mono or braids and outurned eyes work best with Stiff Materials.

Are you relying on a knotless knot? While the knotless knot is an easy way to "tie" on a hook, it is not always the most effective way at getting the point to find a hold in the lip? A line aligner can be better.

Are you using a supple hair? A stiff hair can prevent the hook being taken in cleanly.

These are just some of the possibilities.

And the most important, do you have confidence in the hook?

I nearly always use Carp-r-us Nailers, Centurions or Longshank Nailers, the reason being I know they work for me.

With Statements like that, you are making a rod for your own back.

I had a play with the Ultra Point Barbless in a size 8, and found for some reason that my rigs did need to have a supple hair on the hook where I had tied them with 15lb Amnesia. It may just be on my water, that the Knotless Knot and Amnesia hair was creating too stiff presentation and turning over too quickly. This was then just hooking the Carp in the extremity of the lip. I missed a couple of fish to hookpulls, but once I switched to a Braid Hair had no more problems:confused: