What size hooks to use

hideaway23

Hi all

Was wondering what size hooks you would recommend. The lake I currently fish has fish ranging from 3lb up to about 25lb. The average I will pull out is approx 9-10lb.

I always worry that my hook size is too big for the little fish, and too small for the big uns!

Any ideas?

thanks in advance

I wouldn't worry about the size of hook you're using, looks alright to me.

I use 18mm Boilies on a size8 Carp-R-Us Nailers or Centurions on my water and have landed hard fighting fish up to 25lb on them with no problem.

Personally I think In terms of hooks, the smaller hook you can get away with, then the better penetration you get in relation to the Lead Size.

In other words smaller hooks work well with Smaller Leads, and their effectiveness is magnified if you increase your Lead Size.

:wink:

To prove that attach a rig with a size8 to a 11/2oz lead and try to lift it up with your finger. Then try the same again with a 2or3oz Lead. I bet that with the small hook it will be impossible and bring tears to your eyes every time. :P

well spent £200 on hooks and used them as loosefeed with one on the end of my rig and blanked do you think they cleaned me out and just sussed my rig?

hmmm are you sure your advice is right.??

seriously fished with hemp (with hemp oil) in pva bags with just a bare hook for quite a while, carp hoovered up the lot and although i caught quite a few this way the results were not exactly spectacular.

worth a try in the margins where you can see it tho or you sit there worrying the small fish have cleaned up all the hemp leaving a very lonely bare hook.