two rigs

tomdavpedley

right i want to make a bottom bait rig and a pop up rig,

i know how to make a basic rig with the materials i have but want to make a bit of a better rig,

i have coated braid,

korda wide gape

raptor long-shankx

rig rings

any suggestions, in every other recomendation i have had the yahave said to use heat shrink tubing do i need this?

My basic rigs are so simple that I can tie them with my eyes shut. The only things I change normally are hair length and the length of the Hooklink.

Bottom Bait Rig

Overhand knot Loop in the end of the hooklink, put bait on as that will be your hair. Knotless Knot Hook to hooklink with bait at distance you want your hairlength to be. Tie swivel on at other end at the length you want your hooklink to be.

If you want to increase the angle of the hook I do exactly the same thing but put shrink tube on and create proper Line aligner with line coming out about 5mm from end of Shrink Tube.

Pop-up Rig

Instead of tying overhand knot I tie a Uni knot and put Pop-up in the loop and pull knot tight down to bait. Exactly same procedure using a long shank hook, but never put shrink tube on Hook. This way I can change bait easily, don't worry about it slipping as the knot only seems to pull tighter to the bait.

Im the same i use nash fang x size 7 hooks and the new wychwood coated braid its really nice stuff.

Tie the loop as nick suggested and pop your bait on. The only thing different i do is thread a small peice off silicone tubing onto the hookling material then thread my hook through this carefully so that it sits opposite the barb of the hook on the top of the hook. This just ensures that the bait cant tangle round the hook on the cast.

Then finish with shrink tube as nick said.

I do the same with my pop up rig but i really put an aggresive angle on my shrink tubing, i bend it to 90 degrees off the hook, this is just my personal preference for my water however.

PS, i tend to favour short hooklinks, i rarely fish anything over 6 inches.

Tight lines mate hope you got that, if not i will try and post a picture of how to do it, jus let me no:)

Try these 2 for size. They're my standard Bottom bait rigs.

Line Aligned, with the Hair being a continuation of the Hooklength. They are set up for 14mm Boilies, hence the fairly short Hair. The hooks are size 6 Carp-R-us Centurions. You can also see where I have stripped the outer coating back, this allows a degree of flexibility near the hook.

The links themselves are only about 15cms long as I have been fishing over Heavily Baited Areas this year and using shorter links to get an Instant Run.