Prawn rigs

c2rl_r

I was recently fishing cottington lakes in kent and was doing really well on matrix bottom baits in the first 4 days. the 5th day things started to slow down so i decided to change a few things to try and get a few more bites. i had an asda sea food selection with me so i decided to hair rig a prawn. i had 3 runs within 2ish hours but lost all 3.

does anybody know of a specific rig that works well when using prawns as it must have been my rigs that were letting me down?

What size hooks where you useing and what sort of bites were they as normally the Bream and Tench will beat Carp to prawns :wink: and to miss 3 on the trot scream Tench or Bream running with just the bait in there mouths, as for rig use just 3/4 to half a prawn unless you leave a decent gap between the hair and bend of the hook, you could also try just nicking the prawn onto the hook :wink:

• 6 months later...
I know mate to be honest at the time didn't think much of it have only recently took up fishing again after 10 years out, wish I had now though got it out of the specimen pool at weston lawns nr coventry :(

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Me and another orum member did a couple of nights there a few months back and there was a good perch caught then, cant remember what weight it was though, but dont think it was that big :wink:

I know mate to be honest at the time didn't think much of it have only recently took up fishing again after 10 years out, wish I had now though got it out of the specimen pool at weston lawns nr coventry :(

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Me and another orum member did a couple of nights there a few months back and there was a good perch caught then, cant remember what weight it was though, but dont think it was that big :wink:

4lb 8oz :wink:

4lb 8oz :wink:

Cheer's, thought your memory wasnt that good? :lol:

In thru the carapace at the base of the tail and out thru the head.

A prawn/yabby will eyeball a predator and raise its claws in defence and get sucked in head first. Its why brown trout guts are often full of claws, and why soft plastics for other species are designed to be rigged for a tail-first retrieve.

Another tactic I've had success with is to just use cooked prawn heads with the hook sideways thru the head, with the shank running along the body and the eye of the hook towards the where the tail would be (if I hadn't eaten it)

Cheers,

Techo