Trouble With Knot Tying

dbofblacksouls

Basically I'm looking to try a knot other than a rookie's double knot (which landed me a huge Perch yesterday I might add) But still, i've been trying to tie a Centauri Knot.

I've been following this guide:

http://www.marinews.com/fishing/Knots%20&%20Rigging/fk_centauri.htm

But i'm not having any luck at all.

99% of the time, it's too many turns to hold and my fingers being big, mess up the turns, to when I come to a final pull through, it all un-coils and I end up with a mess. OR I pull through and get the knot about 5 inches up the line and a giant loop with the hook in it.

If I use any less line, it doesn't loop right, so how on earth do I tie these decent knots?

Last guy I spoke to, suggested Pre-Tied.. but obviously forgot, i'd need a good knot to actually tie the pre-tie line to my line, lol

Any advice, because i've been practising for weeks on end and having no luck, it's really frustrating me now.

Use a palomar knot,there's only one loop.If was sheer fluke that you landed a perch on that knot but a carp generally tends to fight harder than a perch of the same size.The knot you're suggesting will leave carp with a hook embedded in it's mouth,please look after the fish and fish responsibly.

Here's a diagram:

http://www.fish4fun.com/palomarknot.htm

If you need any further help,please pm me and I'll do my best to help.

When it comes to Knot tying, the best knot I have found is the Uni Knot. The only time I have ever had one give way is when I've been forced to pull for a break. I use this on my mainline to the swivel, on my braided hooklengths and also my mono or fluorocarbon hooklengths.

Like you I have problems tying a Grinner Knot, getting my fingers round the loop, but found the Uni knot gives as good knot strength

With all knots just practice until you can get it right, the only reason I don't practice with the Grinner Knot is I have found a knot that I can consistently tie, that doesn't give way under stretch or stress associated with playing a fish.

I don't need to Superglue my knots as I am happy with what I've got. Test every knot by pulling on the hook with either a Knot Tester or a pair of forceps on the shank of the hook, not your lips Neil. lol;)

Uni and grinner knots ( two variations on the same thing ) really are easy to tie when you get used to them. The grinner is the only knot that I've found I can tie in pitch black and still be able to tie it perfectly.

I had HUGE troubles learning knots. The way I sorted it out was when my Grandad gave me a 14/0 Seamaster hook, and I learned using that and a piece of string.

find a ring somewhere and practise with string, as it's much easier than mylon. Use thick string as well. When your ok with that, nylon becomes a lot more easy.

Work deadlines mean I can't tonight, but I will get Missus Steve to take some pic's of me tying a grinner with a piece of string and I'll post them soon.

Steve