fishabil

swinger

I have fished the lake three times in the last sixteen years and baged up every time,the old river bed runs down the middle of the lake ,find it ,row your baits out ,plenty of loose feed, worked for me.Last time there was 1995 so things may have changed. good luck Taxidel. ps cats hold up by wooded area but lots of snags.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A couple of my mates fished there last september, their first trip to France as they have not been carp fishing that long. They hired one of the chalets which i believe are on the dam wall.Had a great time with 20 fish each to mid 30s. They just rowed big balls of method mix out the permitted 100 meters, scattered a few handfulls of pellet and boilies around the hookbait and that was it.

• 5 months later...

you can fish in december and rent chalet but no food supplied during that time but nice little pub that does food only 10 minutes walk and village not far and supper market only 10 minutes drive away 3 course meals are cheap if adventurous to try french cuisene plenty off runs providing weather conditions

• 3 weeks later...

Been 3 times in the last year, last time was beginning of October. They have done a lot of work to the left if you stand on the Dam wall, completely rebuilt the bank, bad side is that they have drawn off about a metre of water to do it. This has left the bottom end of the lake high and dry, but it will fill up again.

Not so many fish caught last time, but a near 40 and a cat about 80 came out.

I made a terrible mistake, first night I arrived was knackered, first fish 31, then 2 x 19s, a 10 then a bream, all on the same rod. Decided to leave that rod in to get some kip, and hardly got a bite after that. Hohum.

Griz

Hi Andy.

Last time we were there the east bank to the right of the dam wall was producing well, unfortunately we were 2 on the dam wall, and 2 on the north bank as anglers were dotted around on the east bank.

I'm no great carper, so my methods were straightforward.

You hire a boat, and row out a pole to fish to, chuck your bait in and row or cast your baited lines to the pole.

The lake is very silty, so you might want to consider pop ups at least on one rod. We fished with monster crab boilies over partiblend and hemp, but I don't think there is any particular bait better than another. Starmer will try to sell you his own bait which I expect is good, but not essential. There is a very good tackle shop in St Meen, although the guy in there speaks no English. French maggots are poo!

Be prepared for dogs barking all night, they are dotted around and seem to bark at each other over great distances. Also on sunday the locals normally hunt, and you can expect lots of shouting for a while and french men with shotguns.

Anything else you want to know just ask.

good luck

Grizzly

Hi Grizzly

Thanks for the help. I have got a boat hired for the duration so will use that to bait the areas. Did you find that it was a "hungry" water when you fished? I am planning to take 80kilo of boilie and 50kilo of pellet for the 2 weeks, do you think that will be ample?

Also, is St Meen the nearest town, as the family are coming too so we will need to get supplies from a Supermarche? Thanks for the tip off about the silt, that is just the type of info I was after. I will fish longer hooklinks or Helicopter type rigs to combat it.

Will keep my eye open for the gun weilding locals, I have seen them at quite a few other French venues over the years. Once again, thanks for the help; its much appreciated.

Andy

Hi Andy, yes St Meen is the nearest town, and the Super U is on the side of town nearest the lake and only some 2 to 3 miles from it and hard to miss.

2 weeks eh? I could do with some of that. Maybe we will get back there in the spring.

As for hungry, I don't really know but I expect the bream will be.

Good luck

Griz