just a thought

dan_the_fisherman

Do you think the different variations of presenting a bait favour certain setups. e.g do pop ups favour running rigs or bolt rigs.

personally i havent noticed much difference, however i dont fish anyway near as much as some members of the forum.

Let us know what you think or what you have noticed in the past.

I've found that the fish tend to snatch at pop ups, the hook holds are just inside the mouths, so this may advocate a bolt rig, so they pr1ck the fish quicker. I'd use a bottom bait for running rigs, they tend to just suck the bait up, rather than snatching, so the hook will be further back in the mouth, so it's harder to eject, so that's why I'd use bottom baits with running rigs

Just personal experience though, your lake could be completely different...

Changed, I knew about it! :wink:

Unfortunately idiots and insults got some words added. :evil::evil:

I don't think that it makes any difference whether you use a Running Lead or Semi-Fixed/Bolt set-up. What matters is that you use the right Lead set-up for the lake you are fishing, or the situation you are in.

I prefer to use Running Leads for all my Fishing (thats me personally), but at maximum distance when I need the last yard, and the bottom is silty or with a layer of leaf mould and there are no snags, I will use a Pop-up on a Helicopter set-up. The same Lead set-up works for bottom baits if the bottom is clear and gravel.

Add weed into the equation and I will switch to either Pendant (either running or semi-fixed) lead, that again will work with either a Bottom Bait or pop-up.

When I'm playing fish through weed at closer range then I'll use an Inline Lead if I want a Semi-Fixed set-up, again either type of bait.

I actually prefer Running Leads for pop-ups where possible. The pop-up on my rigs, which I sit and play with carefully to get best hook penetration (see I know how to avoid the censor), I want to be as difficult to blow out, but I want to know when it has been played with by the carp. One or 2 bleeps on a Running lead and you know you have to take notice. That same one or 2 bleeps on a Semi-Fixed rig could be the Carp sussing you out.

At the end of the day you have to take into account the Carp's behaviour and what is currently working.

Incidentally its very rare I use pop-ups at all with a Food Source Bait. Why give the Carp the clue that it may be different from the free baits? Maybe perfectly Critically Balanced, but very rarely popped up.