leaders????????????

thecarpkid1990

Evening all,

I dont use leaders at all unless im fishing over really snaggy ground. imho a thin line off the bottom is better than a fat leader on it. i just go mainline straight through nowdays and if i feel like its not sitting right i backlead or rub heavy metal putty up and downt he line before i cast out.

As for leadcore helping concealment LMAO have you ever seen leadcore ont he bottom fromt he fishes view? its awful! Dont believe any of this crap about so and so's leader following the contours of the lake etc ive played with many and absoloutely none of them do. The very best on the flatest of gravel bottoms will be off the bottom at the sight of a slightly larger pebble.

IMHO mainline straight through is the way forward and you get the advantage of loosing another knot from the line which can only be a blessing.

I think people are to worried about fish 'feeling' line and if they started fishing with more reasonable breaking strains it wouldnt be such a problem.

You only have to look at the success people have with multistrand hooklinks to see this. in the water they sit horribbly off the bottom with all the fibres bouncing around but it doesnt bother the carp in the slightest because its light enough for them not to notice.

Since I dropped the Leadcore I've been putting Mouse Droppings of putty up the line as well, and it does pin it down, and more importantly, if you fish with a Running Lead it can be safely used as a Shocker Backstop just above the tubing. In the event of a snap-off the putty DOES slide off the line (not always the tubing).

Regarding your comment about the fish feeling line, I'm not going to argue about diameters or strains, but the fact that in nature very little is tight. We fish with Tight lines to the Lead, if a carp swims through it, it feels totally wrong to them.

Multistrand, again, it may split and separate, but doesn't weed behave that way, from the root up, each small section splits off, never tight. We aren't pulling the fibres tight on Multistrand, we want it to separate rather than being tight.

The only problem regarding Multistrand is its tendency to tangle. The more people who have this problem and so refuse to use it, I'm happy, Sorry, 'Cos I know how to avoid it :twisted:8):lol:

Is that with your ideas? or would you care to expand on anything you think I'm wrong

Nick

Regarding your comment about the fish feeling line, I'm not going to argue about diameters or strains, but the fact that in nature very little is tight. We fish with Tight lines to the Lead, if a carp swims through it, it feels totally wrong to them.

I think there is more than one carp sense that comes into play here with end tackle and lines.

There is of course sight but this is more important on clear gravel pits than on a lake the colour of coffee. I always try to use the right colours and disruptive camoflage to eliminate this from the eqaution. I use fluorocarbon but I still don't believe it's completely invisible (especially when it colours up in silt). It does sink well which is its best attribute.

Second is feel and this is where multistrand has its advantages. I often use a small section of multistrand on a fluoro combi when barbel fishing to get the best of invisibility and feel close to the bait where the barbules can reach. Snakeskin can be used in the same way.

For me, the most important factor, relating to tight lines is vibration. The power of the fishes lateral line to detect tight lines (even if it can't see or feel them). I am sure this is the case in running water at least. In still water there is still the effect wind and undertow.

On some waters I have fished, it dies if there are tight lines going out every 20 yards right around the lake. In similar conditions mid-week, without the lines, the carp go crazy. Slack lines are definitely the way to go.

What knots does everyone tend to use for attatching leaders?

I usually use the leader knot, can't find the proper name, but you make a loop, put the other line through, whip up the line 5 times, then back down, back through the eye and tighten

For mono leaders (I don't use braided ones because of the lack of stretch), I tie an overhand loop in the leader, pass the mainline through the loop in the same way as the tag comes out. Tighten the leader loop then pull some more mainline through so there is no damage to the mainline in the knot. I then tie a grinner knot around the leader, moisten and slowly pull tight. This is the strongest I have tested for joining lines of different diameters but it will always be a weak point in the set up so I re-tie and test before each session.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick tip, if you get a few different colours of anti-tangle tubing, and then cut them up into 1-2 inch pieces, then thread these one by one onto your mainline, alternating coulours, it really breaks up the outline of your end tackle on the deck, and makes the tubing a lot more supple, so it won't stick up over bars etc :wink:

Just a quick tip, if you get a few different colours of anti-tangle tubing, and then cut them up into 1-2 inch pieces, then thread these one by one onto your mainline, alternating coulours, it really breaks up the outline of your end tackle on the deck, and makes the tubing a lot more supple, so it won't stick up over bars etc :wink:

Another one for you.

Silicon Tubing is softer than most rig tubing (a pain in the butt to thread though), so lays down on the Lakebed more naturally. It does fit into most Protecta style beads

To break up the outline on green silicon go over it with a Permanent Marker Pen in patches and weird shapes.

Specially thought out to keep the less intelligent busy for a while :twisted::twisted::twisted::lol::lol:

Actually it does work :?:?