welham lake leicester nene valley

jurrasic

had a couple of sesions last year took a couple of mid doubles thinking of joining yearly ticket how has lake fished this year ? have to say welham is one of the prettiest lakes ive fished how does this place fish in winter was very busy when i went in summwe of last any 1 with any tips or knolledge i would bevery gratefull

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the lake which Mick Cooper owns? About 6 acres, an island, the field bank which is pretty open and the snaggy bank on the opposite corner.

I've fished there a few times in the winter, mainly just for pike which i've had a few out. Even though i have put a carp rod out on a few occasions whilst piking, i've only had two singles :lol:

Seeing as it's shallow it normally fishes well through the winter in any mild periods you get, and i've spoken to a few people who have had quite a few out in 24 hours fishing. There seems to be alot of fish around the low doubles mark which provide some action atleast, and also a decent stamp of fish making it towards 20. I think the lake record is high 20s possible a 30, although the biggest fish i have seen proof of is a 26lb common. According to Mick (balliff) it had a little bit of a problem with otters coming over from the river which runs in a field close to the lake, that was about 3 years ago and several of the big fish were killed.

You should be able to get some action all around the lake really, with many of the fish from the field bank coming from marks mainly in open water. If you are will do go a little more extreme though the far bank is also worth ago, and is very often neglected, apart from the numptioes you get casting all the way accross past the island (which is banned on the rules)

I know in the furthest corner from the car park there used to be a large fallen tree where quite a few fish got caught, and i seem to remember alot more snags all along the far bank which must be worth a try.

The most popular swim on the lake seems to be the one directly after the car park, on your right as you climb over the style into the field bank. This was almost always occupied when i've been and i've seen a few fish coming from off the edge of where the lillies normally are in summer. The swim with access to the island on the opposite side from the car park seems to do well aswell, and fishing the channel between the island and the bank has to be worth a shot.

Baitwise i'm not sure what doing well now, although there were a few fish being caught on particles and richworth tutti when i got talking to some of the carpers when lure fishing. One bloke had a couple on zig rigs in the winter too :wink:

If i was you then i'd definately use the car park, as the lay bys around the lake look dodgey :?

Sorry tony can't remember the exact location as it was about two years ago when i last went, and was taken by a bloke i go piking with.

It may also be worth try a search on a few other forums as i bete there will be loads of info about. As i'm not too sure how it's fished in the past year.

Good luck

Courtney

cheers courtney i have checked other forums mate some good and bad press apparently there are 2 known 30s in there,and the hot peg is the stye peg next to car park but the better stamp of fish coming from open water. been a bit of trouble there in the past tho apparently 2 car break ins by car full of kids. gonna go in couple weeks check for myself. when i went there was a regular called laurie, sound funny bloke he had been fishing there a good number of years his pb was also 26 from the venue.hope he still there cos wanna find out if the bad press is true before i join for the year, only good thing i will say when you join for the year is that you get a key to the gate so can park right next to tour swim. where as if you day ticket you have to leave car in car park.

tony glad you like username you should know it well our lake (well was mate) last time i saw you down there i told you about welham lake and how it was a lovely carpy looking water,do you remember? did you know the forum got shut down dont like people voicing there opinions do they!end of the day its not run with carp fisherman in mind is it. bloody shame tho loved that place was some lovely fish in there.thats why im searching to find a new venue and it aint easy have you ever fished the place across the road from jurrasic? whats it like ? mid 20s top or above do you know.where you angling now

tony glad you like username you should know it well our lake (well was mate) last time i saw you down there i told you about welham lake and how it was a lovely carpy looking water,do you remember? did you know the forum got shut down dont like people voicing there opinions do they!end of the day its not run with carp fisherman in mind is it. bloody shame tho loved that place was some lovely fish in there.thats why im searching to find a new venue and it aint easy have you ever fished the place across the road from jurrasic? whats it like ? mid 20s top or above do you know.where you angling now

So you are a Broome AS member then? If you are then Jurassic is still our lake, its just needs restocking thats all :( Sorry though bud i cant remember who you at all, please forgive me. I see so many people on my travels its hard to keep up with who ive met and who i havent met.

The big pit across the road from Jurassic (the sailing club water) has got carp in it and possibly a few from Jurassic (which escaped during the floods), but they are few and far between.

hi tony yeah am broome member far as i heard there is no plans to re stock jurassic apart fom moving the bigger carp from colver so gonna take a good few years to get back to it was mate.shame 20 or so of us carp members cant and would be allowed to chip in for some stock and turn into a syndicate (DREAM ON HEY) welham by the way is near tur langton, medbourne, go up a47 turn right at tur langton follow to left hand turn to medbourne then right turn to welham.when you get to a sharp right turn with a pup on corner there is a track straight ahead on the sharp bend follow for half a mile lake on left very nice too check google earth you can see it mate.

you not doing it on google earth have you downloaded the progran

Give us the link :wink:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.514376&lon=-0.887382&z=14.4&r=0&src=msl

Great stuff, to be honest thats not far from me. Maybe a road trip is in order to check it out. There is nothing wrong with dipping your end tackle in someones elses pool every now and again.