esp stiff rig

dean31

It works on virtually any lake bed, as long as the weed isn't too thick, the idea is that the pop up makes it float above the 'chod'(hence the name) or general detritus on the bottom.

It's an awesome rig for light weed, but I wouldn't recommend it in the heavy stuff, the lead tends to get snagged.

It was originally the 'silt rig' for fishing over silt, and first tied with braid, to sit on top of the silt.

You can alter the length of it, for the depth or amound of chod you're wanting to fish over, the more chod there is, the longer the rig you want. Also, try to put a slight curve in the hooklink, to enhance the hooking effect.

It, actually is a very effective single hookbait rig, even in situations it wasn't designed for, eg, clean bottoms :oops: and over gravel etc, as it doesn't tangle, and, it seems to be a rig that's hard for the fish to eject.

If you want to increase he hooking potential, try adding a tiny 1in boom section, before the hooking section, so it looks like a very short hinged stiff rig, then use putty on the hooking section swivel to weight it down. The hookholds seem to be better, as the rig seems to fly up into the mouth more, because there is more flexibility

he asked about stiff rigs not chod rigs mate,

can use either pop ups or bottom baits on bristle filament mate just a different configuration of same materials.... ie hinged etc. wouldnt reccomend fishing stiff rigs in heavy weed though mate, I fish a very weedy water myself and your presentation will be crap if you dont drop it in a hole. A chod rig ( all of us over thirty five knew this one centuries ago as a silt rig) is a different kettle of fish, as the name says, fish over chod not in the weed. stick with supple hooklengths for weed mate :wink: