lead clip extra

nigewoodcock

Just thinking if adding a loop of say 1inch of 1/2lb mono between the clip and lead would aid in shedding the lead if snagged or line break?

It could be covered in silicone tube to aid anti tangle.

Any feedback would be appriciated before taking idea to the water incase ive missed any drawbacks.

It could be just a stupid idea!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
cheers.

Just heard some stories and views of people that lead clips dont always work as they should

In many cases they don't!

Not always down to the Lead Clip working incorrectly, it can be used wrongly, the rubber can be held on too tight by being pushed on too far, or the lead clip may not have been trimmed back.

In some cases a Lead Clip may not even be needed at all.

If you want to use a Lead Clip then in my view the Carp-R-Us ones are the best.

Adding a length of line to the Lead clip the line can pull the Rubber free, or will breal on the cast. Consider that with a 3oz lead you can be creating a force of 30lbs! So a length of half lb mono is likely to break.

If you don't use a Lead clip then tying the lead on with a weak link has been used for years. It can be tied on at casting with PVA to hold it during the cast :wink:

As with all read the Instructions.

I've used the ESP ones for ages, and if you want the lead to eject, they're great, but every time, when you'r playing a fish, even in open water, the lead will discharge. I wouldn't mind, but it as a runs water, so I was getting 9/10 fish a day, and it started to get expensive :shock:

I wouldn't mind, but they were only 5-10lbs, so, I guess it depends how you use them. For times where you get fish rarely, and it's snaggy, so you need the lead to eject, I highly recommend them, but for runs waters, I'd go for the Korda ones probably :wink:

I've used the ESP ones for ages, and if you want the lead to eject, they're great, but every time, when you'r playing a fish, even in open water, the lead will discharge. I wouldn't mind, but it as a runs water, so I was getting 9/10 fish a day, and it started to get expensive :shock:

I wouldn't mind, but they were only 5-10lbs, so, I guess it depends how you use them. For times where you get fish rarely, and it's snaggy, so you need the lead to eject, I highly recommend them, but for runs waters, I'd go for the Korda ones probably :wink:

In which case why do you need a lead clip then?

If you don't need the lead to discharge then a Lead clip is not an essential, there are other ways of holding the Lead on.

I used this method for years with no problems:

leadclip.jpg

Because, it was a while ago, when I was just starting out, and the lead clip is recommended for beginners, so I followed the crowd.

I use helicopter rigs now, with a weak link of 3lb mono tied to the lead :wink:

On your set up, how would the lead discharge?

I don't want it to!

Like I was trying to explain there are times when you don't want or need the lead to discharge.

I don't use that set-up in weedy waters, (I prefer Inlines). If I get a snap off, which is likely to be above the lead, then the Bead and Tubing pulls free from the swivel.

In fact it is very rare that I use Lead Clips at all, as the majority of my fishing is with Running Leads. With Running Leads, again, if I get a snap off then the Lead is free running and comes off the line easily.

Ah OK, thought the bead was a weak link.

I rarely use lead clips myself now, prefer helicopter rigs TBH

When fishing in weedy waters though, using inlines, what if thelead gets snagged when playing a fish, and also, with running rigs, the fish could be free to move, but the lead would stay motionless if it was snagged?

Ah OK, thought the bead was a weak link.

I rarely use lead clips myself now, prefer helicopter rigs TBH

When fishing in weedy waters though, using inlines, what if thelead gets snagged when playing a fish, and also, with running rigs, the fish could be free to move, but the lead would stay motionless if it was snagged?

Oh Gawd, don't get me on the helicopter rigs debate, they are limited in their applications. SHOULD NOT be used in Weedy waters, they do not offer the best of indications, https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26640, in fact with how I attach my leads should I need them to break free :wink: .

I have not found the Lead to get snagged with an inline in weed. The weed normally slides over the lead, and then down to the fishes head, which covers its eyes, in many cases it then comes free.

Next point on those 2 threads is how I attach my Running leads if I need the Lead to come free, use a paper clip.

Really about Lead clips and their uses we should be discussing on those threads

• 2 weeks later...