Hi All,

I got my insurance finally sorted last week, went with Emporium.

In the terms & conditions they say that a wooden shed is fine for my gear just as long as it is in the perimeter of the house, and a 5 lever lock - fine.

Insurance companies do not fill me with confidence that they would pay out with such a flimsy door.

Anyone any experience of insuring their kit in a shed, and anything to make the insurer aware of etc?

I rang them up too, just to double check.

Cheers.

I had my garage done a few years ago and they took my fishing bag and a rusty drill I was glad to see the back of. I 'phoned my Insurance Company (can't remember their name unfortunately) and they tried to fob me off with "equivalents", like replacing my Avon Scales with a set of Little Sampsons. I had my name and 'phone on the inside flap of the bag and I got a call to say that it had been dumped and all my gear was still in it, the only thing missing was my £20 emergency fund,

My mate is always selling on Facebook Market Place and not long after showing a shifty looking character around, he got done big time and in a professional hit, they made off with £8,000 of quality gear. He was with Lloyd's and couldn't fault them for the way they dealt with the claim. 

I got a heavy duty padlock bolted to the ground and an internal Yale alarm - my mate's alarm did go off but they filled it with expanding foam.

I don't really trust Insurance Companies, they are normally quick to take your money and slow to pay out and even then, the bare minimum.

Beef up your security as much as possible without drawing too much attention to the shed.

If the worst does happen, don't expect the Police to come rushing round, they will only want to give you a crime number!

On 14/04/2024 at 15:18, Golden Paws said:

I had my garage done a few years ago and they took my fishing bag and a rusty drill I was glad to see the back of. I 'phoned my Insurance Company (can't remember their name unfortunately) and they tried to fob me off with "equivalents", like replacing my Avon Scales with a set of Little Sampsons. I had my name and 'phone on the inside flap of the bag and I got a call to say that it had been dumped and all my gear was still in it, the only thing missing was my £20 emergency fund,

My mate is always selling on Facebook Market Place and not long after showing a shifty looking character around, he got done big time and in a professional hit, they made off with £8,000 of quality gear. He was with Lloyd's and couldn't fault them for the way they dealt with the claim. 

I got a heavy duty padlock bolted to the ground and an internal Yale alarm - my mate's alarm did go off but they filled it with expanding foam.

I don't really trust Insurance Companies, they are normally quick to take your money and slow to pay out and even then, the bare minimum.

Beef up your security as much as possible without drawing too much attention to the shed.

If the worst does happen, don't expect the Police to come rushing round, they will only want to give you a crime number!

Hi mate,

Thank you for the above, a good insight.

Jack

On 14/04/2024 at 11:42, Whitstable Jack said:

Hi All,

I got my insurance finally sorted last week, went with Emporium.

In the terms & conditions they say that a wooden shed is fine for my gear just as long as it is in the perimeter of the house, and a 5 lever lock - fine.

Insurance companies do not fill me with confidence that they would pay out with such a flimsy door.

Anyone any experience of insuring their kit in a shed, and anything to make the insurer aware of etc?

I rang them up too, just to double check.

Cheers.

I have little experience of explicit fishing tackle insurance, but I do know 'cheaper' insurance companies will try everything to prevent payouts in the event of theft; security not good enough, replace with cheaper items etc.

Always go for the best insurance possible, and not always the cheapest. Go through the small print (the boring bit) to find out their complete policy and best way to protect yourself.

Sadly fishing tackle is both sentimental and personal, so to replace a pair of Century rods with Sonik (for example) does not cover like for like.