Opinions on rig

callum23

19 minutes ago, callum23 said:

Yeah I did only to see really, was worried the line aligner was going to close the hook to much. Would normally just use silicone tubing for this part 

*Should have read your reply properly .*

Edited by framey

12 hours ago, callum23 said:

Yeah I did only to see really, was worried the line aligner was going to close the hook to much. Would normally just use silicone tubing for this part 

Don't be worried by inturned kickers, 'closed' gape or line aligners, I think that has become a buzzword for missed indication or for using the wrong rig for the feeding situation. I.e. some carp suck and blow, others pick items up, it can be spot dependant in a water, or it can even be individual fish 

If you look at a Withy pool rig there is absolutely no 'open gape' at all, yet it is effective.

13 hours ago, framey said:

Did you pierce a hole in the back of the tubing and bring it out ?

The front of the hook, the eye, the inner of the tubing is what causes hooking  or pri cks in the mouth. To have the line exiting the back flips the hook out bend and shank first. It will work with fish that pick up hookbaits and the hook pri cks the lip, but not suckers and blowers.

Weedy-Green-Withy-Pool-Rig-in-Water.png

19 hours ago, callum23 said:

Would you suggest having the line exiting through the front of the kicker then? Instead of out the back?

Either at the end as normal or out of the front.

If I give a little bit of history, of one or two rigs, the Bent Hook Rig, and the Savay Loony Rig.

The Bent Hook rig evolved on Fox Pool, (?) it was a longshank Hook (normally a fly hook, Kamasan B175) with a proper bend made in the shank, so the eye was inturned. On Fox Pool and everywhere else it was almost impossible for the fish to eject, however as it got into mainstream carp fishing, it was seen to be causing double hooking, causing mouth damage.

Possibly around the same time on Savay, it was discovered that by lengthening the hook shank with (biro) tubing, it improved hooking of the rigs being used. I believe that there was also a sliding hair on a rig ring involved.

Now with the mouth damage caused by the BHR, and being banned by most fisheries, the Savay Loony rig was not causing damage. The longer shank reduced chances of ejection, and it was noticed, combine a hook with a shank extension turned in, you have a Bent Hook effect, but with no damage.

Then we have a 3rd rig, Jim Gibbinson discovered that protecting the hook knot with tubing, and bringing the line out of the front of the tubing, the line aligner, also gave the same effect as lengthening the hook shank and the Bent Hook effect.