losing leads

useph

Of course the lead is dangerous to the water! If the pH-value drops much enough, the lead will dissolve and the lead will become poisonous oxide, which is extremely letal to fishes. Also aluminium is extremely posionous to the fishes gills in low pH waters.

Just because the water has a stable pH it doesnt meant that the lead is not dangerous. The other way around I would say.

I would tighten the rubber cone over the clip, so that t loosen only when the fish get snagged, and not on every take.

Could you please think about your statement after reading this.

The PH would have to drop to a leval that is more dangerous to the fish than the lead.

The lead would become an,nitride/sulphide ect not oxide.

Approx 33% of all lakes and pits dug in the uk have huge amounts of lead already in them,exposed by the mineing of stone/ballast ect,without any ill health in fish ect.

I studid the effects of lead in our waterways for both the BFSS and BASC when the goverment put up its draft paper on a lead ban for shooting.

I believe I Know the effects.

of course the low pH on its own is also dangerous to the fish. But if there are metals in the lake, such as lead, quicksilver, aluminium etc. It gets critically worse. Therefore the term "Point of no return" which means when the pH level have dropped low enough for the metals to dissolve, and hell breaks loose in the water. Without the metals, the lake kan be restored far more easily.

Sgart,Point of no return is actualy a flight term,it means the point in fuel load that you reach[just over half]when you cannot return.

If a lake got so acidic that it started to disolve lead,the fish would be dead.

For a lake to get so acidic it would need a large amount of acid to be dumped into the water,this then could be neutralised by an equaly large amount of alkali,so the action could be reversed.

You would need a huge amount of anglers leads in the water to be a problem[far more than is lost in the UK].

Far far better to lose leads and land fish safely,than to lose fish atached to leads. :evil:

another point if mercury[quicksilver] was dumped into the water,it would kill fish acid or not.

We should all be one together in our use of safe rigs,if that means losing leads than so be it.

sorry if i offended anyone with my comment its just people were going on about things that were too advanced for my brain to handle.

No need to apologise.

Sorry I was a bit abrupt, but some of the things that people were saying made me a bit cross.

I think that leaving lots of lead in our lakes is a very important issue; it could turn out to be very dangerous to our fish and the environment

Sgart,Point of no return is actualy a flight term,it means the point in fuel load that you reach[just over half]when you cannot return.

For a lake to get so acidic it would need a large amount of acid to be dumped into the water,this then could be neutralised by an equaly large amount of alkali,so the action could be reversed.

You would need a huge amount of anglers leads in the water to be a problem[far more than is lost in the UK].

Far far better to lose leads and land fish safely,than to lose fish atached to leads. :evil:

another point if mercury[quicksilver] was dumped into the water,it would kill fish acid or not.

We should all be one together in our use of safe rigs,if that means losing leads than so be it.

When I studied marine biology and water (care?) A,B and C (Dont know the english names of all the courses),we learned the term "Point of no return" as a term describing when a water gets enough acids, that the heavy metals dissolve and kills everything, making it allmost impossible to restore.

I dont know if you use that term in the UK but it would be strange if you dont, since we used the term in english and not swedish.

Point of no return is, anyway a term used in many different subjects. It's a quite normal "chaos" term.

Let me get this straight, I do NOT think it is ok to have carps swimming around with leads. My point was that if I was the person losing leads all the time, I would check the rig to make the leads loosen only when fish snaggs, and not on normal takes.

When I studied marine biology and water (care?) A,B and C (Dont know the english names of all the courses),we learned the term "Point of no return" as a term describing when a water gets enough acids, that the heavy metals dissolve and kills everything, making it allmost impossible to restore.

I dont know if you use that term in the UK but it would be strange if you dont, since we used the term in english and not swedish.

Point of no return is, anyway a term used in many different subjects. It's a quite normal "chaos" term.

Let me get this straight, I do NOT think it is ok to have carps swimming around with leads. My point was that if I was the person losing leads all the time, I would check the rig to make the leads loosen only when fish snaggs, and not on normal takes.

I agree with you we shouldnt just discard leads,but as I said I would rather lose leads than teather fish.

By the way I too have studied aquatic biology,and I studid the effects of lead in UKand EU waterways,and Im an active member of IFM so I can keep on top of current issues. :wink:

I agree with you we shouldnt just discard leads,but as I said I would rather lose leads than teather fish.

By the way I too have studied aquatic biology,and I studid the effects of lead in UKand EU waterways,and Im an active member of IFM so I can keep on top of current issues. :wink:

I agree with you :) I will also rather lose lead than having fish stuck with it :) Its a fine line :)

I got a question for you, do you have problems with low pH in many lakes in the UK? I have no idea of what the most aquatic problems are made of over at your place.

In sweden we got plenty of low pH lakes, since we got loads of pine forrests. Another problem is Eutrophication.

hi,the ph of most UK lakes is somewhere between 6.9 and 8,most neutral.

How ever some of the mountain lochs,tarn ect are slightly acidic,whereas some lowland ponds and lakes are slightly alkali.

We suffer both with natural and artificial Eutrophication,the first is not normaly a problem except in freak hot years,the second is a problem,that the water boards and enviroment agency are constantly fighting with.

• 13 years later...
On 24/07/2007 at 15:45, sgart said:

of course, otherwise it is no point having safety clip at all.

I think the lead should sit strong enough not to loose when playing carp in a normal matter, but loose enough to be able to shake loose when snagged.

This I feel is correct 

it shouldn’t fall off at just a little bump or an aggressive take it’s littraly for a fish that’s snagged there the tail rubber should be tight .... before you cast play with your rig see how much it takes for the leads grippers etc same as... method feeders it’s still just a lead full of bait