Shimano reel recommendations

Uni68

Hi all,

new to the forum and looking for some advice. Starting carp fishing properly normally stick to rivers and small lake venues for pleasure angling sessions but want to take carp more seriously. 

I already have a set of fox 2.75lb tc rods that I use occasionally but I’m looking for a new set of reels (last present off my dad who is terminally ill so decision has to be right as I want years out of them). I like the look of the shimano XTDs as front drag is a must for me. do any of you recommend these reels or alternatives? Also what reel size? I’m tempted to go for the 5500 as my distance casting isn’t great and I can’t see myself ever using a 14000 as lakes near me aren’t big waters we’re I could see myself casting 150 yards. 

the 5500 could also be used for general fishing for tench or chub but I already have reels I use for this type of fishing  

any advice appreciated. 

3 hours ago, Uni68 said:

Hi all,

new to the forum and looking for some advice. Starting carp fishing properly normally stick to rivers and small lake venues for pleasure angling sessions but want to take carp more seriously. 

I already have a set of fox 2.75lb tc rods that I use occasionally but I’m looking for a new set of reels (last present off my dad who is terminally ill so decision has to be right as I want years out of them). I like the look of the shimano XTDs as front drag is a must for me. do any of you recommend these reels or alternatives? Also what reel size? I’m tempted to go for the 5500 as my distance casting isn’t great and I can’t see myself ever using a 14000 as lakes near me aren’t big waters we’re I could see myself casting 150 yards. 

the 5500 could also be used for general fishing for tench or chub but I already have reels I use for this type of fishing  

any advice appreciated. 

Hi welcome, sorry to hear about your dad. What’s your budget ?