Some beginner help

ZappaFish

Hi,

I'm looking for some really basic advice. First, some context:

Three years ago, I started fishing. I'm a caretaker for the mentally disabled and I taught myself to fish so I could take the residents at work with me. Three years ago I started with some VERY old poles which I 'repaired' with superglue and paperclips to hold on the line. We targeted silverfish with good succes. Second year I invested in a new pole of a greater length (6 meters). We started catching some bigger things, including some nice tench. Third year (now) I have moved on to short poles (6m) with a thin elastic and a normal stora bung. They are all telescopic poles and pretty basic, but they tend to work well for my residents, who aren't the most able of people. I really don't get much fishing in myself, to be fair, but I still enjoy it. I take three residents with me every time, as that's the maximum that I can handle myself without being overwhelmed by all the unhooking and re-maggoting I have to do. 

Because I want to fish more myself, I bought myself a pretty basic pole, but still a significant upgrade from the telescopic poles I have purchased until now. I'm feeling a bit out of my dept and have some very basic questions. I realize they might be pretty stupid to most of you, but I don't really have anyone I can asks these things. 

The pole I bought is a Mitchell Impact R 1108 Carpodrome. I know how the process to elasticated a pole works. But I'm not really sure what to do with the top kit. 

The Mitchell came with two top kits. It's  advertised as having a telescopic hollow top. One of the top kits came packaged separately and looks like it needs to be used telescopically. The other top kit shipped inside the other parts and look like it's put over like the other parts of the pole. But I'm not sure. 

I'd like to use this pole to target slightly bigger fish (as that's what my residents really REALLY like to brag about when we come home). Would I be correct to assume that it might be better to jettison the number one section and just fit section two and three with an elastic and a pulla bung?  A pulla  bung won't fit into the number two section. 
That would effectively mean I render the second top kit useless since my number three section will always be joined with the first top kit via the elastic. 
Therefore it sounds like I'm missing something here, but I'm not sure. 

Also, say I do want to use section 1, does it needs to be used telescopically on the number two section? Feels like it fits just as fine when used as  putover, and that makes breaking them down with the elastic and storing them a whole lot easier. But again, not sure if i'm asking something really stupid here.  

I would really appreciate any advice you have to give,

Thanks

You may be better off asking on the maggot drowners forum as this is based mainly for proper carp fishing 

I would take it to a local tackle shop as most of them would set it up for no cost except for the bits required to set it up 

elastic, bung and the pulla and they would be able to say almost straight away if it is a telescopic section or take apart

3 hours ago, framey said:

You may be better off asking on the maggot drowners forum as this is based mainly for proper carp fishing 

I would take it to a local tackle shop as most of them would set it up for no cost except for the bits required to set it up 

elastic, bung and the pulla and they would be able to say almost straight away if it is a telescopic section or take apart

Will do, thank you.