Which Shimano Baitrunner?

Morning all

im thinking of getting 2 new baitrunners. to compliment my 9ft 2.5lb Greys GT2's

I've been looking at the  Shimano's 

6000 DL RB

6000 XT RB

6000 X Areo RA

i only cast 50 - 70 yards so i dont think i need anything bigger and also want a good balanced feel for the rod. Has anyone got experience of these reels? 

thanks Guys.

I used to have the Shimano XT-RA's (which were the forerunner to the XT-RB's) and they were okay to be honest. The only thing I didn't like about them was the rear drag, much preferring the "old school" front drag.

Not trying to hijack your thread, but I also use smaller rods (11') and was wanting to keep everything balanced, so ended up buying 3 Daiwa Emblem BR25RA's. I have been very, (very), happy with them and can't see me changing soon. Nice and small, but retain a bigger spool to assist casting, although I only fish shorter distances similar to yourself. The only "downside" is that they don't come with spare spools like the Shimano do, but it wasn't enough to put me off. I've had reels with spare spools before and to be honest the only time I swapped them over was for my week in France every year, so for the other 51 weeks, they were lying there gathering dust!

They are a similar price to the reels you are looking at, and I personally think they are better built than my old Shimano XT's.
https://johnsonrosstackle.co.uk/daiwa-carp-reels/17237-daiwa-emblem-br25a.html

I watched this video of the Aero RA and at 2.10 in this you can also see evidence of "spool wobble" that I also experienced, but don't get that with the Daiwa reels.

Edited by smufter

T

2 hours ago, smufter said:

I used to have the Shimano XT-RA's (which were the forerunner to the XT-RB's) and they were okay to be honest. The only thing I didn't like about them was the rear drag, much preferring the "old school" front drag.

Not trying to hijack your thread, but I also use smaller rods (11') and was wanting to keep everything balanced, so ended up buying 3 Daiwa Emblem BR25RA's. I have been very, (very), happy with them and can't see me changing soon. Nice and small, but retain a bigger spool to assist casting, although I only fish shorter distances similar to yourself. The only "downside" is that they don't come with spare spools like the Shimano do, but it wasn't enough to put me off. I've had reels with spare spools before and to be honest the only time I swapped them over was for my week in France every year, so for the other 51 weeks, they were lying there gathering dust!

They are a similar price to the reels you are looking at, and I personally think they are better built than my old Shimano XT's.
https://johnsonrosstackle.co.uk/daiwa-carp-reels/17237-daiwa-emblem-br25a.html

I watched this video of the Aero RA and at 2.10 in this you can also see evidence of "spool wobble" that I also experienced, but don't get that with the Daiwa reels.

Thanks for the advice, The Daiwa  look nice but i fancy a rear drag. I think im going to go for the XT RB. ill have a play with them in the house and if no good ill send them back. cheers Richard

26 minutes ago, RJT74 said:

T

Thanks for the advice, The Daiwa  look nice but i fancy a rear drag. I think im going to go for the XT RB. ill have a play with them in the house and if no good ill send them back. cheers Richard

No problem Richard. If you prefer rear drag the Shimano are a no brainer. You'll be happy with them 😉😉😀