Advice sought for a greenhorn buying a lake in France

Tree cutter

Hello all, thanks for letting me join, hoping for some advice about a proposed business here in France.

So, I’m 55 and a tree surgeon, I worked on a carp fishery in Sussex back in the nineties and enjoyed the business.

I moved to France early this century and continued my business here.

I have worked for a few expats who run fishing lakes out here and have often thought it might be a good way to diversify and give myself a bit of respite from the physical effort, especially in the summer months when it can be too hot here.

My employee is a keen fisherman but I know little apart from what I garnered from my time as a bailiff on the lake in the UK.

The lake I’m looking at is 8000 square meters with a good dam, very picturesque with a good cabin 60m2, ideal for drive and survive.

What I’m asking you guys is:

Is the French carp fishing scene still buoyant?

Is 8000m2 too small? I had envisaged 4/5/6 swims to be viable.

Is my rather sketchy experience in the fishing world a fatal flaw or overcomeable (not a real word)

Any other comments or warnings?

I do spend a decent amount of time on other forums for work and machinery, so I know the score, don’t mollycoddle me, I’m not easily upset.

Thanks in advance.

Tree cutter.

Personally, I prefer fishing a smaller lake. But I think 4 to fish is the "magic" number. Less than that, and you are severely limiting your target audience. 

As long as it has some features, is not choked with weed, and has a reasonable head of "decent" carp to make a trip worthwhile, it's worth a bash.

And by "decent" I don't mean they have to be 50+ but nobody is going to travel to France to pull of low doubles or twenties.

😉

Whatever size lake you might consider taking on, be prepared for the worst scenario i.e. a complete fishkill which can happen when you stock a lake or add carp to an existing stock, I know!!! Good luck whatever you decide. I operated a 19 acre lake for 11 years and after the initial disaster turned it into 1 of France´s premier venues, virtually full every week 2 years in advance with no advertising having been done for over 10 years!