Dehydrators

motherhooker

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 20:49, motherhooker said:

Seen these on Amazon and was wondering if they could be used for boilies instead of air drying 

Thanks

Ian

I've got a cheapy dehydrator..... Firstly , they are bigger than they look in the pics and the stacking shelves are fairly shallow,(on my one) around 1 inch deep on my one, the top shelf with the lid on, being about 2 inches deep...…. I don't see why you couldn't use it to air dry boilies, although it may not hold as many as you'd like, but it could  certainly get them started off...….

I haven't used mine for this purpose, but to dry out some fruit matter to produce fruit powders at low temps.....Pineapple, papaya and strawberries to be exact...… Although you can use them to dry out meats for the same purpose, which I haven't done yet,,,(Had liver in mind),...…. TBH, if it was to just help dry out some boilies, then I'd save your 20-25 quid and use some air dry bags or mushroom trays (which you can pick up for free at a green grocers)……..

As far as dehydrating fruits...….. 1 whole pineapple plus one whole green papaya, which takes up all the trays on my one, will take a good 48hrs on a low setting to get everything dry enough to powder up in a seed mill and will yield a massive... half a pop up tub of powder...….. The intense fruity flavour is to die for and at low temps the enzymes should still be entacted ..... But a lot of effort for a little amount...…..

If you are having trouble finding affordable air dry bags...…. Just look for "mesh laundry bags" on Ebay, or grab some trays from your grocer...….🙂

p6TGUKZBT.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

10 hours ago, B.C. said:

I've got a cheapy dehydrator..... Firstly , they are bigger than they look in the pics and the stacking shelves are fairly shallow,(on my one) around 1 inch deep on my one, the top shelf with the lid on, being about 2 inches deep...…. I don't see why you couldn't use it to air dry boilies, although it may not hold as many as you'd like, but it could  certainly get them started off...….

I haven't used mine for this purpose, but to dry out some fruit matter to produce fruit powders at low temps.....Pineapple, papaya and strawberries to be exact...… Although you can use them to dry out meats for the same purpose, which I haven't done yet,,,(Had liver in mind),...…. TBH, if it was to just help dry out some boilies, then I'd save your 20-25 quid and use some air dry bags or mushroom trays (which you can pick up for free at a green grocers)……..

As far as dehydrating fruits...….. 1 whole pineapple plus one whole green papaya, which takes up all the trays on my one, will take a good 48hrs on a low setting to get everything dry enough to powder up in a seed mill and will yield a massive... half a pop up tub of powder...….. The intense fruity flavour is to die for and at low temps the enzymes should still be entacted ..... But a lot of effort for a little amount...…..

If you are having trouble finding affordable air dry bags...…. Just look for "mesh laundry bags" on Ebay, or grab some trays from your grocer...….🙂

p6TGUKZBT.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The mesh laundry bags is what I use for drying boilies a bit. Have a store here called Dollar Tree that has them for $1(everything there is a dollar or less). Works well and FAR cheaper than air dry bags I've seen.

10 minutes ago, TnCarper said:

The mesh laundry bags is what I use for drying boilies a bit. Have a store here called Dollar Tree that has them for $1(everything there is a dollar or less). Works well and FAR cheaper than air dry bags I've seen.

We have a thing in this country, jokingly referred to as "carp tax" lol...………. Basically, stick the words carp or carp fishing in the description , at it is sold, for far more, than it's actual worth...….  😀.

• 2 months later...

There are three possible applications of dehydrators:

1) as a basic heat treatment of boilies 

2) as fast drying process (hours not days)

3) for making a thin hard skin before steaming in order to save sphere shape of boilies (in case of too soft dough)

I use all of them from time to time.