Using Sea Mono for spodding and using a normal reel for marker work.

Hey Guys,

A two part question.

I'm just getting into spodding and need to put line on my spod reel, i know casting braid can be tricky with wind knots and such and had an idea of using a sea mono line at around 60-80lb breaking strain straight through without a shock leader, has anyone used mono for spodding? I know it probably wont be any good for marker work due to the strecth in it... or maybe it would be, i have never done much marker work either! :lol:

My thought process is that sea line is designed to cast leads going up to 8/9oz which is more than a large spomb is when its full i'd imagine so should easily take casting a spod/spomb. i have a big pit for my spod rod so the larger diameter line isn't an issue.

And i'm thinking of using a standard carp reel for my marker work, as most of my fishing is done at no more than 60-80 yards at max and majority of time it's more like 50 yard and i can easily cast a standard reel that far. Anyone see any potential issues i may have with this?

I use 15lb mono with a 50lb shockleader for spodding. In fact I use 'last years' mono which I wind off my fishing reel onto the spod reel, then tie on new shockleader.

As for marker reel, I use the same type of reel for marker as I use for my fishing, admittedly a 7000 Beastmaster, but for years it was an old Shimano 4000 size baitrunner, same size as I used for fishing. That would be equivalent to a modern 6000 size baitrunner.

11 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I use 15lb mono with a 50lb shockleader for spodding. In fact I use 'last years' mono which I wind off my fishing reel onto the spod reel, then tie on new shockleader.

As for marker reel, I use the same type of reel for marker as I use for my fishing, admittedly a 7000 Beastmaster, but for years it was an old Shimano 4000 size baitrunner, same size as I used for fishing. That would be equivalent to a modern 6000 size baitrunner.

Thanks mate. think i'll go with the mono option then, i didn't think there be an issue but it's always nice to hear someone does it too :lol:

21 minutes ago, The_Viking_Angler said:

Thanks mate. think i'll go with the mono option then, i didn't think there be an issue but it's always nice to hear someone does it too :lol:

Couple of reasons I do it:

While I am not a big caster, I have cracked off spods straight through on 50lb braid with a miscast. The lack of stretch means if you do mistime it, or have to stop the cast, the line just 'pings'. I can't remember which fishery it was, but on a friends facebook post, the fishery found the same thing, numbers of cracked off spombs attached to braid only. 

I have also had braid on a proper spod rod wear grooves in the tip and butt rings.

I do also like my fingers, and braid on a miscast can cut deeply.

One thing I will say using a standard carp reel, is that using a baitrunner (or even fighting drag)  to pull line off the spool as you get your depths is useful.

12 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Couple of reasons I do it:

While I am not a big caster, I have cracked off spods straight through on 50lb braid with a miscast. The lack of stretch means if you do mistime it, or have to stop the cast, the line just 'pings'. I can't remember which fishery it was, but on a friends facebook post, the fishery found the same thing, numbers of cracked off spombs attached to braid only. 

I have also had braid on a proper spod rod wear grooves in the tip and butt rings.

I do also like my fingers, and braid on a miscast can cut deeply.

One thing I will say using a standard carp reel, is that using a baitrunner (or even fighting drag)  to pull line off the spool as you get your depths is useful.

Do you think i'll need a shock leader if i was to use say 80lb mono?

Yeah that was exactly my thoughts, i have a couple old bait runners lying about so i'll start using one of them, do you use braid on the marker rod for finding the features or do you still use mono on that too mate?

You won't be able to use 80lb mono straight through  , the spool won't hold enough , the mono will hold to much memory and will coil , the diameter will reduce the length of cast . 

Use the 80lb as a shock leader although 50lb is probably all you need .

6 hours ago, The_Viking_Angler said:

Do you think i'll need a shock leader if i was to use say 80lb mono?

Yeah that was exactly my thoughts, i have a couple old bait runners lying about so i'll start using one of them, do you use braid on the marker rod for finding the features or do you still use mono on that too mate?

Always braid with a shockleader for the marker rod. The feel of features with braid is a whole lot better

I am a sea fisherman as well as course and what we generally use for open beach fishing is either 15lb or 18lb mainline with a shock leader that equates to 10lb for each ounce of lead used so a 5oz lead you would have a 50lb shock leader 6oz lead and 60lb shock leader although i generally just use 60lb to be on the safe side.

We don't use 8oz on the beach as you wouldn't be able to cast it efficiently to get the distance.

The leader is approximately 2 x the length of the rod being used this means with the drop from the tip to the lead there is about 2 to 4 turns on the reel.

Andy