Greys gt4 rods

hi...... just wondered if anyone could offer any info on what the greys gt4 are like.? bought two today after taking a look in the shop and thought the seemed fine for the money (70 noted instead of 100). then i start reading posts all over the net that their blanks are prone to snapping on the cast. hearsay maybe..? cheers

I've not heard anything bad about them either. 

Checking out the prices on-line, it seems you got a bit of a bargain so I'd rather concentrate on that side of things rather than "have I bought the wrong rods".

Like everything in life, for every one person complaining about a product you'll have thousands of people happily using it without a care in the world. 

I think you're worrying too much. Get out and enjoy 'em.

8)

Welcome to Carp.com

I'm with B.C. in that my biggest gripe with Greys is new ranges every few years. 

I also don't believe that if a rod snaps that there is another top section for it. A rod is built from carbon cloth and resin on a mandrel, it is then basically sawn in half and either an overfit joint or spigot is made to connect the section together again.

If you have picked up a £100 rod or two for £70 each then you have gotten yourself a decent discount. 

10 hours ago, carpmachine said:

Wrong Nick, they ask you to return the offending length cut in 6 inch piecest they have spare sections for rods years out of date, couldnt fault them, dont know about these cheap rods, maybe they should not have gone down this road. Having said that i hated the action of the prodigy, but own and love the x flitte plus 50s, great rods, not Century but nice.

What I mean is while they may fit together its not a perfect match. Like buying a pair of socks, losing one, so buying a single sock of the same pattern to replace the one you lost. The colour is not likely to be exactly the same, so while they are now a pair, they are not matching.

A rod is built on a mandrel, carbon cloth and resin rolled around a centre piece of metal, then dried. It is then sawn in half. You break a section of a rod you will not get another section that is a perfect fit, exactly as the original one was. The different sawn sections will not fit together as perfectly as the original twp did. You may not notice the action, but I can guarantee, I have tried mixing and matching sections of my Armalites in the past, and rods I have built from Pacific Bay blanks. There is most definitely a difference. On my Armalites, there was a distinct looseness and wobble in the joint when I put an incorrect tip to a rod butt, even though I had just rebuilt them! 

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 18:39, salokcinnodrog said:

What I mean is while they may fit together its not a perfect match. Like buying a pair of socks, losing one, so buying a single sock of the same pattern to replace the one you lost. The colour is not likely to be exactly the same, so while they are now a pair, they are not matching.

A rod is built on a mandrel, carbon cloth and resin rolled around a centre piece of metal, then dried. It is then sawn in half. You break a section of a rod you will not get another section that is a perfect fit, exactly as the original one was. The different sawn sections will not fit together as perfectly as the original twp did. You may not notice the action, but I can guarantee, I have tried mixing and matching sections of my Armalites in the past, and rods I have built from Pacific Bay blanks. There is most definitely a difference. On my Armalites, there was a distinct looseness and wobble in the joint when I put an incorrect tip to a rod butt, even though I had just rebuilt them! 

interesting...... surely you wou would think that if the mandrel and carbon lay up are identical and the the blank is cut in the the same place then you would have a identical product. but then again i guess an eigth of a mm would make a difference to how they join together.

2 minutes ago, tommyh87 said:

interesting...... surely you wou would think that if the mandrel and carbon lay up are identical and the the blank is cut in the the same place then you would have a identical product. but then again i guess an eigth of a mm would make a difference to how they join together.

Years ago I used to work with fibreglass laminates, cloth and resin. No matter how carefully you did things exactly the same, you could not line up the cloths on the mould the same.